Wal-Mart's "self tightening" tire chains really work?

Have been called to transport blood and platelets, stat and emergently, to hospitals in the mountains and plains on highways and interstates closed due to snow.
Peerless “Auto-Trac” self tighten so that one need not stop after a mile and retighten tire chains.
Could these be.neficial in such situations?

One set for the front wheels of the 2008 Ford Expedition which has directional rotation Winter tires.
Since the rear wheels most often follow in the front wheel’s tracks, would another set be necesssary?

Thank you.

http://www.peerlesschain.com/brands/traction/traction-product-choices/auto-trac/

You’ve many time admitted to foolishly drive at over 100mph endangering your life and everyone around you…and you INSIST that you drive safely…Now you want to know if cheap chains from wallmart and driving down closed interstates that closed is SAFE.

First off…your Expedition is 4wd. If you only have one set of chains you put them on the REAR…NOT the front. Best is to have them on all 4.

You do know that with chains your speed is DRASTICALLY reduced. 20mph.

Your stories get better and better.

+1 for MikeInNH.

Yes. One cannot drive safely in deep snow even athe speed limits.
Better to get the blood/platelets to its destination later than go off the roadway and get stuck.
We carry two snow shovels.

Why not chains on the the front wheels under the most weight and which grab and steer?
The rear wheels follow in the front wheel’s tracks.

Tell police departments and Kansas and Nebraska farmers that 100 mph is unsafe in their Expeditions.

(When catching up to traffic, I slow. Don’t want to startle anyone and am ready if someone pulls out to pass.
Vehicle A in lane 2 saw the emergencyehicle in rearview mirrors and started to slow.
Behind A, vehicle B, apparently angry that A was slowing for no reason, suddenly pulled into lane 1 to pass A.
Always expecting this, I had already slowed and avoided a problem.
The dashcam has captured many such lane changes without looking.)

Why not chains on the the front wheels under the most weight and which grab and steer?

Because under extreme slippery conditions (i.e snow) the rear end can easily fishtail.

(When catching up to traffic, I slow. Don't want to startle anyone and am ready if someone pulls out to pass. Vehicle A, in lane 2, saw the emergencyehicle approaching and started to slow. Vehicle B, behind A, apparently angry that A was slowing for no reason, suddenly pulled into lane 1 to pass A. I already had slowed expecting such and avoided a problem.)

You are by far one of the most dangerous drivers on the road (IF YOUR STORY IS EVEN TRUE). As I’ve said before…I seriously doubt it. Blood companies won’t take that risk. I personally you just come here every once in while for an ego boost. I don’t believe your story of delivering blood. Doesn’t pass the smell test.

How does rear end fishtail when front, with greater weight, is pulling?
Have never experienced this in all these years. But I accelerate gently.

What danger? Police officers and troopers have critiqued the dashcam videos.
What is your top speed for an Expedition on level, dry interstate highways? 10 mph below the posted 75?

Can we just ignore this clown ? Please

What is your top speed for an Expedition on level, dry interstate highways?
I'm not that stupid enough to try. Especially with your extremely over inflated tires.

You keep coming here and asking dumb questions like “Is it OK to inflate my tires 20lbs over what the door sticker says?” Everyone says NO. But you still don’t believe the engineers who designed the vehicle or engineers and mechanics in this forum. Instead you put your faith in the GED tire salesman.

Now you ask about chains…OBVIOUSLY you’ve done ZERO research into it. Anyone who knows anything about 4wd and chains knows you put the chains on the rear. I told you it will fishtail. You don’t believe it…SO SPEND 5 MINUTES AND DO A GOOGLE SEARCH. Come back and post any url’s you find that contradict what I said.

^ In four-wheel-drive, with all wheels turning at the same speed, why would the rear fishtail?

Do these Auto-Trac chains really work?

Ford dealer says they underinflate the tires so you will like your “more comfortable” ride.

On the tire, what does “Maximum Inflation 44 PSI” mean? (Post reads 35 PSI.)
(Interesting that the tire dealer flunkies say 44 is OK and that many people do maximum pressure.)

(Try driving your 4WD vehicle on dry, level roadways at the posted speed limit of 75 mph. 80 in Wyoming and Texas.)

Ford dealer says they underinflate the tires so you will like your "more comfortable" ride.

No one said anything about UNDER inflating your tires…Keep the tires at the proper inflation (as per the sticker on the door) or a little higher…NOT 20lbs over that you’ve stupidly admitted you do over and over again.

(Interesting that the tire dealer flunkies say 44 is OK and that many people do maximum pressure.)

A tire flunky at the dealer is going to know more about proper tire inflation then the engineers who designed the tires and matched them to the truck? That’s what you’re saying. Those tire flunkies couldn’t even understand the Math behind it.

The Ford dealer says 44 psi is perfectly fine but they inflate less for the smoother ride so you will purchase again and again. (I do understand how the footprint diminishes. Stopping distance similar to a tire with tread half new depth.)

Robert, I am a volunteer fire fighter and understand and appreciate your contribution to your community. I am concerned about the many posts you have made about driving in adverse conditions and at high speeds. Have you had an emergency vehicle driving course? By the comments you have made I doubt it. These classes stress over and over that unless you arrive safely you cannot help anybody. You also cannot put anyone else at risk. In my jurisdiction ambulances and fire trucks may not exceed the speed limit. No police officer will pull an ambulance or fire truck over for speeding, but if there is an accident there is heck to pay. An ambulance driver in our area went thru a red light without checking, T boned an car and killed a person. The driver spent 3 years in jail for that. We are also taught to drive appropriately for the conditions. We are also taught how to prepare the vehicles for the weather, here in PA we do not get the snow you get in Colorado, but if you take a local course they will teach you what to do, what you can and cannot use, how fast you can go etc. All the questions you have been asking will be covered.

Being a volunteer is a lot like peeing yourself with dark pants, you get a warm feeling but nobody notices. Your posts seem to be you bragging about how tough you have it and how brave you are. There are plenty of folks here who put themselves in harms way. We have utility workers who go out in ice storms and climb poles to get our power/phone/cable back in service. Trying to work with ice smashing into your face is not pleasant, but they do it. We have tow truck drivers who pull our cars out in snow storms on highways with idiots driving past them too close and too fast. We have folks who have to be at work, hospital workers, dispatchers-my daughter worked taking care of mentally challenged people and the place was staffed 24/7, she had to come and go in awful weather. Lots of folks have to deal with the weather. You are not the only one.

I have flagged your post as spam, some of the other regulars here may want to do the same.

VOLVO V70: Don’t be such a party pooper. RG has been Missing In Action for a long time. I just categorize his stories as science fiction/fantasy and have a good laugh. Remember disabling Daytime Running Lights to save fuel? A Ford Expedition at triple digit speeds is in single digit MPG mode. Extinguishing 2 light bulbs is going to make any measureable difference? LOL!

@MikeInNH : Actually the sidewall rating is the only real “limitation” based on maximum pressure; i.e. if you exceed it, you’re in violation. The factory PSI is…probably a good idea, for most people, is most conditions…but NOT a limitation. I know for a fact that I tend to bump up my pickup’s rear tires if hauling “heavy,” and lower them for, say, driving on soft earth. Also remember that once you deviate from MFR spec tires (rim, width, A/R, or even load rating) MFR spec pressures go out the window…to a lesser or greater extent, depending upon how far you deviate from stock.

And why does everybody need to play “whack a mole” with this guy? He goes away; pops up again; get whacked. I freely admit, he personifies “leading with one’s chin,” but whatever.

We have EVOC training taught by state troppers who say they go 120 mph (in their sedans).
We never drive faster than conditions allow. Not worth the risk.
Many times I am well under the speed limit because of ice, snow, rain or potential deer, cattle or horses hidden from view. Recently saw a buffalo grazing near the shoulder.
Cresting an incline and finding a herd of deer or bicyclists one the other side is not uncommon.
You go only as fast as conditions allow. If you cannot slow and stop to avoid a mishap, you are driving too fast.

Sorry about that intersection collision. Must slow ready to stop if others miss hearing the siren (easy in today’s better sound-insulated vehicles with excellent stereo systems or people illegally wearing earbuds while driving.) Appears that some drivers panic and freeze unable to hit their brake. I stop and they pass in front of me.

We have long expanses of vacant interstate highways and highways.
Kansas farmers say they routinely drive 100 to 110 mph in their King Ranch Expeditions.
Some police departments also have removed governors from their Expeditions.
Ours is governed at 105. If unsafe, why 105?

Come here sometime and drive on a vacant, straight, dry interstate or highway and tell the hospital which calls you to speed it up that you will not drive over the speed limit.
Engineers say interstates are capable of much higher speeds but they chose a speed which most people can handle.

I have always thought that if Mr. Gift does really deliver blood, he is a dangerous man to have on the road.

I think that being in his position, it has gone to his head and now he thinks that he is saving the world and will go to the extreme to do his job… no matter how dangerous his driving is.

We all know the type. The guy that changed his own plugs last year, a battery this year, and now he wants to know if he should attempt to do his daughters brakes.
A little experience and they think they can do it all, and are experts now.

Either that, or he just likes to ask dumb questions to see what our reactions are.

Yosemite

If we are encountering deep snow on a closed interstate or highway, is it not better to have the chains on the front wheels to grasp and steer?
We have had to shovel drifts to get through. Better than getting stuck and then trying to dig out.

. The factory PSI is...probably a good idea, for most people, is most conditions...but NOT a limitation.

Never said it was a limitation. But increasing PSI too much and you drastically decrease the tire footprint and thus stability at high speeds (which Gift claims to be doing).

Second - his story keeps changing…He posted a while ago he was setting the PSI to 60…Now it’s 44. Previously he also said it was an independent tire dealer that was telling him MAX tire pressure is fine…Now hey says it’s the dealer.He can’t keep his lie straight.