Wal-Mart broke sockets into which Camry's air cleaner cover inserts

Why on earth would anyone think that paying $8 for an oil change is a good deal for either party?

How can one mess up an oil change?
Guy gets below, removes oil plug, oil drains. Removes the canister with special tool. Removes the old filter and rubber “O” ring. Insert new filter element and “O” ring. Screws canister on, screws oil plug on.
I ask them to pour all 5 quarts of the Mobil 1 0W20 Full Synthetic oil I purchased there.

A supervisor goes under, they start the engine and he checks for leaks.
Have never had a problem. Oil has been slightly above middle of the dipstick range when I later check.

The air filter tabs on the 2013 and newer Camry/ES350 are frustrating but I have never broke any.

What can go wrong with an oil change? You listed them, the drain plug, the filter, the O-ring and the customer that wants 5 quarts of oil poured into an engine that holds 4.6 quarts.

Last year a late model Camaro was towed in two weeks after purchase (used) with a seized engine. The oil filter O-ring was in the threads, not in the O-ring grove and all the oil was lost courtesy of monkey world lube services. Why the buyer thought they needed an oil change after only two weeks is a mystery.

4.6 without the canister filled. 5 quarts is fine. Why don’t they make oil capacity 5 quarts so that we just empty one container without left-over?

They check for leaks.
I did all of my oil changes lying in the gutter with left wheels on the sloped curb/sidewalk and right wheels in the street. ______U/----"’"’"""’’’’’’’’’’"’’’’’'
But this new canister filter cartridge would make a mess. So the $8.54 is worth it.

Nevada beat me to it. Loose plug, loose filter, wrong filter, etc. Doesn’t leak much till it falls off 50 miles later.

I used to have problems with the plastic housings of my Buicks. They used steel screws and a brass insert in the plastic housing. If you tightened them too tight or waited too long to check the filter, they could be murder to get out. I just used anti-seize on the screws and that seemed to take care of it.

I supply the filter element and oil. If wrong - my fault.
The cheapest Fram filter element and higher-priced Fram filter element look identical!

Toyota has had some problems with their air filter housings. The bolts shear off, and the plastic breaks. This has been going on for a few years now

What bolts? We’ve owned 3 Toyota’s since 05. To get to the air-filter you have to undo a couple clips. No bolts. Wife’s Lexus is a pain because of those plastic panels covering the engine you have to remove. My highlander has 3 clips…and the top comes off…and the filter is right there…The 4runner was by far the easiest filter I ever replaced. I could replace it in about 30 seconds. When we finally sold it last year with over 300k miles - the air filter housing was still OEM…and with original clips.

It’s easy to mess up an oil change, as most of us can testify.

Cross thread the plug. Then replace with a junk plastic plug. Happened to me one time. Plug sheared off in a snow bank.

Use the wrong oil. Over or under fill.

Remove transmission oil, over fill crankcase.

Break the plastic under-cover. Or cut a hole in it.

Loose filter, wrong filter.

@MikeInNH - I have an 04 Sienna and my son has an 03 Camry. Both have the same air cleaner box. Two plastic hinge tabs on the left and two bolts on the right, front and rear. The bolts on both corroded and broke so I ordered new ones from the dealer. They were less than five bucks a set and installed relatively easily. Perhaps 04 was the last year of this design?

My 2005 Camry air filter box has two bolts.

Think the 2008 Camry hybrid had the spring latches.
As many times as I changed the air filter over 297k miles, why don’t I remember?
I also changed others’ filters.

Wal-Mart says get it fixed and they will reimburse if under $300.

It’s more than just corroded and broken bolts

The actual plastic gets weak and breaks

Even if you’re extremely careful every time, it can happen :frowning:

Thank you. My impression is thatheyvere just careless and manhandled it. The plastic was in good condition every time I changed it. It was difficulto puthe cover on. I did not wanthem to do anything but change the oil and oil filter. I boughthe oil and filter in the store and brought ito them.

they could break the lower box of your air cleaner box for one…

1 Like