VW Golf 2002 oil change/filter replacement

What are the steps? And are there any special tips?

The owner’s manual may (should) have information about this.

Oil change 101:

Remove the drain plug from the oil pan and drain the old oil into a catch pan. Unscrew the filter and dump its contents in the drain pan, too.

Smear some clean oil on the new filter’s o-ring and screw the new filter on. Hand tighten only. Snug but don’t overdo it.

Put the drain plug back into the oil pan drain hole (a new washer is good if you have one) and tighten the plug.

Remove the oil cap from the valve cover and pour in the correct amount of oil. Start the engine and let it run until the oil pressure light goes off.

Wait a few minutes and check the dipstick to make sure the oil level is correct.

If you have to raise the car to reach the drain plug or filter use ramps or jackstands to support it. NEVER crawl under a car supported only by a jack.

Read your owner’s manual carefully; Volkswagens need special oils (not just any oils) and you should go to a shop that has those. The dealer will, of course have all this, but they will charge a lot more.

Did you just buy this car? What maintenance have you done so far?

Drain oil.
Remove old Filter.
Put thin film of oil on new filter gasket.
Put on new filter.
Put oil drain plug back on pan. Make bolt tight…but NOT too tight.
Add oil (check owners manual for capacity).

Did I miss anything??

Make sure your oil actually meets the VW spec. Looks like the oil must meet VW 502 spec. Oils that meet this spec are Castrol Syntec 5W40, Pennzoil or Quaker State European formula oil 0W40 or 5W40; , Mobil 1 0W40 or 5W40, Kendall synthetic 0W40 or 5W40.

There have been some issues with VW gas engines and oil sludging with oils that don’t meet the spec. Looks like you require a synthetic to meet the spec.

Dispose of used oil properly.
Auto Zone accepts used oil from anyone as does my Ford dealer.

Thanks!!

thanks

thanks. This will be the first time I did the changing. Got it new

thanks

Make certain that the gasket on the old oil filter comes off the engine with the filter. Simple . . . just look at the old filter and compare it with the new filter before you smear the oil on the gasket. If the old filter gasket “sticks” to the engine, you’ll have a major mess when you start it up. Hand tight is enough for an oil filter. Don’t overfill the engine with oil. Use jack stands. Have fun! Rocketman

I don’t know if a gasser has the same filter set up as a diesel, but the diesel comes with two gaskets that need to be put on the filter before installing it. Unlike most cars it uses a cartridge type filter. The cap unscrews from the housing, it has one very small and one large gasket that needs to be replaced and should come with the replacement filter. It should be apparent how it goes once you get there.

Remember that I was describing what they do with the diesels, your gasoline may be different.

thanks

I take mine to our towns transfer station. They use the oil to heat the DPW buildings.