Oil change

How much, REALLY, should just an oil change cost on a VW Wolfsberg Geta 2007? Does it really need a new filter every time you change the oil? Can I do the oil change myself and if yes how?

Yes you really need to change the filter every time you change the oil.

Oil changes generally cost anywhere from $20 - $35…depending on type of oil and filter used.

Oil changes are the most BASIC work you can do yourself on a car next to changing the wiper blades. I’d find someone you know who can show you how to do it yourself. Some vehicles will have to be raised to drain the oil so that may be an issue with doing it yourself.

Make absolutely sure you have VW approved oil and filter and KEEP the RECEIPTS!

There’s oil that’s NOT VW approved???

VW has a very narrow spec for oil, centering mainly on long drain intervals. This was originated by the German Goverment to cut down on waste oil. Even Mobil 1 has a new “long drain interval” synthetic that happens to be VW approved. MOST REGULAR OILS ARE NOT VW APPROVED!!!

This restriction does not apply to older VWs. After the warranty runs out you can use regular oil and change twice as often. Volkwagen engines are not made much different from other engines.

That’s a first for me. Every oil I’ve ever used says “Approved for ALL Gasoline Engines”. Never seen any mention of being approved or not being approved for VW.

BMW does it too, I think.

Just picked up some Mobil 1 5W30 for my Nissan. It says: Meets performance spec of ILSAC GF-4,GF-3,API SM,SL,CF,and various others, including Daimler Chrysler MS-6396.

It has been selected as OEM oil (initial fill) by: Corvette, Cadillac CTS, XLR, SRX, STS, Mercedes Benz AMG, Porsche, Dodge Viper, Dodge Ram SRT 10.

No mention of VW or BMW. The extended drain Mobil 1 meets VW spec. BMW specifies Castrol, the German extended drain version, in all their new cars. Again, once your warrranty expires feel free to use a great oil like Mobil1 in your German car but change it at the sane American interval like 3000-5000miles.

Bottom line: you don’t need to buy the oil and filter and the dealer, but you DO need to be sure the oil and filter you use complies fully with the specifications defined in your owners’ manual.

As do we all…

Thank you! Can you please explain “long drain intervals”, english being my second language.

Do you have sugestions as for where is the best place to buy the filter and the oil?
Thank you!

Normal oil drain intervals are typically 3000 to 5000 miles. In Germany most cars now have a 12,000 mile or 1 year interval. That requires a different oil with much more additives to fight all the contaminants. Most North American oils do not have that quantity of additives, hence they do not meet BMW, Volkswagen and AUDI specifications.

So, long drain intervals means a longer time (1 Year) or a longer distance, such as 12,000 miles.

Bring the owners’ manual into any reputable parts place and ask them for the oil and filters, then before you pay for them check the specifications on the packages to see that they meet the same ones as the manual lists. If the ones they have in stock do not, ask them if they can order them special. You’ll still save money over going to the dealer.

I appreciate it. That’s what I’ll do. This site is awesome. I recently lost my job do to my company going bankrupt, and I am trying to save money. Thank you all for helping!!

Got it. Thank you!

Here are four generally available oils that meet the VW spec 502, which appears t be the one that concerns your car. Verify in owner’s manual.

Valvoline Synpower 5w-40
Mobil 1 0w-40
Castrol Syntec 5w-40
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40

There may be others, but my quick search turned up these.

Yes, the book sais it’s the SAE 5W-40, if this one’s not availabale the SAE 5W-30 is good too as long as it complies with VW oil quality standard. This stands for the VW Jetta Wolfsgurg.

Most of the better (sometimes more expensive) auto parts stores will carry the 5W40, and it may be a bit hard to find or have to be special ordered. I checked out Pennzoil Platinum, Synpower and Mobil 1 websites, and their 5W30 do not specifically state that they meet the VW spec. I would find the 5W40, in one of the four brands I noted above, regardless of cost, to ensure that I met the specs, particularly while under warranty. If you go to Do it yourself oil changes, keep all receipts and a logbook showing date, mileage of when the oil is changed. Warranty claims become extremely difficult without that information.

Finally, several enthusiast sites speak to the 5W30 oils being “too thin” for VWs, and combined with whether they meet the VW spec, it seems prudent to find the 5W40.

Most of the better (sometimes more expensive) auto parts stores will carry the 5W40,

Castrol Syntec 5w-40 is available at Wall-Mart.

Thank you guys! Now, since I know where to buy and what to buy, what is your advise if I were to go to a local mecanic that was recomended through this site and try to get an oil change with my own materials? Should I not even consider it? Again, I’m trying to save money and I’m also thinking maybe doing it myself might just bring me to spend more, considering I have to buy the jack stands, a box-end wranch and the container to drain the old oil and whatever other wranches. Thanks!