VW Diesel Owners Unite!

Typically, states, not the feds, handle registration

That’s right but as someone pointed out earlier, the states do emission testing at the behest of the EPA. Regardless, do you not think the states that require emission testing will be keenly interested in ensuring that cars comply with the laws?? What levers can they pull in order to ensure compliance? Registration…

Some states are best buddies with the Feds; some hate those “damn Yankees”; most are somewhere in between. It all depends on where you live.

In surfing the web for diesel issues it is obvious that in recent years many VW diesel owners have become quite arrogantly self-righteous in their owning the “King of the Hill” of the diesel automobiles and taunted the fans of many manufacturers that have failed in their efforts to build a clean diesel like VW. A lot of crow is being eaten these days. I wouldn’t want to be a formerly successful VW salesperson right now.

I wouldn’t want to be a VW diesel owner right now, especially if I’d been bragging to my neighbors how clean my car’s emissions SUPPOSEDLY were

:grimace:

One f my engineers has a VW Diesel. Lives in NH. I’m anxious to see how this ends up. So far he hasn’t heard anything from VW.

I can’t imagine the fix being mandated by the feds however I can easily see many federal and state emission tests failing these vehicles now, knowing that the vehicles are designed to cheat the testing must adapt for that. What a mess! Rocketman

I cannot imagine the feds NOT mandating the fix. Expect your recall notice.

Admittedly, I have no doubt whatsoever that in places that don’t do periodic emissions testing most VW owners will just ignore the recall and keep on keepin’ on. Ignoring a recall isn’t illegal. In this case, it might even be the smart decision.

What VW shouldve done was to make a larger displacement engine if they were concerned about the hit in performance,the emission equipment and tuning would take away,if they needed a few more hundred CCs of displacement to get the performance so what,large displacement low end torque,sure levels the hills and I 'm sure the level of performance is back on the new ones anyhow,the other Guys can do it and I know the Euro Diesels are second to none.

VW should have simply complied with the emission standards in the countries it is doing business in. now VW is in a world of hurt, literally.

Yup. This one is going to have a MAJOR impact on VW. And it’s impact goes beyond our borders. European countries may even be harder on VW than the U.S., and VW has sold far more diesels in Europe than it has here.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see VW acquired in the coming years. That’s how serious the impact might be.

Fiat acquires VW! Marchionne has been looking for an easy marque.

In terms of the overall long term impact on VW, this is relatively minor. The $7 billion price tag is about what Ford and GM lost annually prior to restructuring. VW is a very large and extremely diversified company globally.

A year from now this issue will be largely forgotten , but selling diesels in the US may not be a paying proposition, unless there is a large price differential in the fuel cost.

@Docnick

I agree the fines aren’t the problem

The dirty reputation . . . literally, in this case . . . may cost them far more in the short term, as some customers jump ship, and go elsewhere for their next car

But I think in the long run, VW will be just fine financially

Toyota seems to be doing okay, as does GM

In a few years, people will have forgotten this incident, and only we on this website will be reminiscing about it

VW stock/shares are down at the moment, but as people forget this incident, those will go up again also, in my opinion

Speaking of junk science, I read today that AP borrowed the software from EPA and did a calculation of the number of people that died because of VW’s emissions. They concluded 5-20 people are now dead per year because of it. Kind of like Minnesota Health and Pollution control concluding that 2000 people a year are dying in the metro area due to air quality. I thought in 40 years I should have seen someone dead on the street from air pollution but never did. It will be the beginning of a new age of fear of death from breathing.

Kind of like Minnesota Health and Pollution control concluding that 2000 people a year are dying in the metro area due to air quality.

That is some junk science. Because we all know the real number is much, much higher. Every one in the given area is dying. And will die eventually.

@Bing

So let me get this straight

The only way you’ll believe that people die from air quality is . . .

You’re walking down the street
Somebody tells you to your face "I’m going to die from air quality"
And then they drop dead right in front of your face
And then somebody from some government agency shows up and “adds one to the list”

I’m no scientist, but I’m fairly sure that’s not how deaths are counted/calculated

And if somebody gets lung cancer . . . possibly from smoking . . . they don’t just drop dead from one moment to the next

It’s a long and drawn out process, from what I understand

It occurred to me that perhaps you weren’t being serious

If you were joking, I apologize

Otherwise . . .

:tongue:

I thought in 40 years I should have seen someone dead on the street from air pollution but never did. It will be the beginning of a new age of fear of death from breathing.

You really need to take a science class if that’s your interpretation.

People who live where air pollution is unchecked have a much higher mortality rate. These are FACTS. I know the radical conservatives don’t think that air-pollution exists let alone that humans have anything to do with it. It took DECADES to convince the radical conservatives that Tobacco smoking was actually harmful. Although there’s a huge percentage that still think that Tobacco smoking is not only NOT bad for you…but actually good for you.

No need to get excited. I simply found the death rate calculations leaving a lot to be desired.

So should TDI owners be charged with involuntary manslaughter for their part in the 5-20 additional deaths per year? I don’t think so but some might. Of course living in smog is not healthy but seems to be a better case for dispersing populations from large urban areas instead of more and more concentrations in large cities, then trying to deal with the pollution problem created.

Minneapolis/St. Paul has pretty good air quality but of course DesMoines is better. Still though the urban planners are bent on building higher and higher dwellings to pack more and more people in a smaller and smaller space. Seems like we should be doing the opposite if we are really concerned with air quality.

Minneapolis/St. Paul has pretty good air quality but of course DesMoines is better.

NOW…thanks to the EPA. But 40 years ago it was like very other major city in the US. On a clear day in the 60’s when driving into Syracuse…you couldn’t see half the buildings because of the smog. I live in a fairly wooded area. Air quality is pretty good. I notice a HUGE difference in air quality when I drive the 25 miles into Boston. We’ve made great strides in the past 40+ years…but we still have a long ways to go.

So should TDI owners be charged with involuntary manslaughter for their part in the 5-20 additional deaths per year? I don't think so but some might.

Where did that come from? Who suggested that?

No need to get excited. I simply found the death rate calculations leaving a lot to be desired.

That’s probably because you don’t understand the Science or Math. Those calculations predictions were also based on the medical treatments of the day. Advanced treatments and procedures have prolonged peoples lives. But rest assured…pollution has caused MILLIONS of premature deaths in this country…and many MILLIONS more in other country (mainly third world countries).

I believe we shouldn’t bury our head in the sand and wish the problem away…or pretend there isn’t a problem. Pollution is STILL a major problem in this country…and it has shortened peoples lives and adversely effected many more quality of life.

Oh boy. A little insulting today huh? The Associated Press concluded after running their software provided by the EPA that the increased emissions from the VW TDIs resulted in 5-20 deaths per year. If this is believable, therefore, TDI owners contributed to the deaths of up to 100 people. It is not so far fetched from there to hold them responsible for those deaths, yes? Yes it was unknowing and involuntary, but they did cause the pollution that resulted in deaths according to the AP, no?

So the issue is at what point do we stop this? Was there additional emissions? Yes. So under what criteria do we only jail or prosecute VW executives. They only provided the means but the owners actually provided the pollution. So stop the non-sense, fix the cars or take them off the road, fine them if you must, and let the market decide the rest.

Retrofitting a new gas engine might be the best resolution.