Volvo lightbulb replacement

Love my volvo, have had 4 so far but this may be my last one. The reason…I cannot change the headlight or taillight bulbs which seem to burn out very frequently. What am I doing wrong?

What do you mean by “cannot change the . . . bulbs?” Why can’t you change them?

If you, or someone, touches the glass part of the bulb during installation it significantly shortens the life of the bulb. Only handle the bulbs by their bases. Do not touch the glass. If you accidentally touch it, clean the bulb with alcohol (the drug store kind, not beer).

We also have a Volvo - an S70, that goes through bulbs with great regularity. There does not appear to be any electrical problem, so my theory is that the car has a vibration at a frequency that we don’t perceive but it is resonant with the bulbs and causes them to fail.

Never had any problem changing them though. What model is yours?

I followed the directions in the owners manual for the replacement of the low beam but I couldn’t see what I was doing…I removed the high beam. I don’t think the instructions are written very well. Maybe they are and I am bulb challanged. Thanks for the alcohol tip. Here’s to you!

Thanks for your thoughts. I have a 2001 XC70. I just could not find the correct location of the bulb when I opened the hood. I took it back to our local Volvo service dealer and after buying a bulb from the service dept. an auto tech replaced it in a minute. He told me to bring the car in any time I need assistance. I think I will.

Well, now you know the difference between the high beam and the low beam. That should make things easier when you change bulbs.

Get a shop light or some other light source (flashlight?) if you can’t see what you’re doing. Working in the dark is a prescription for disaster.