Volvo Electrical/Transmission Problem?

A couple of weeks ago, driving home, my 2004 XC70 wagon with 52k seemed to loose power. Looking down at the dash, the electronic display that showed what gear you are supposed to be in just had a -. Trying to shift gears manually resulted in some cluncking in the transmission. When I got home and shifted from D to P and shutoff the engine, an indicator light on the shift console showed that I was still in Drive. Showed all sorts of codes showing electrical problems. Console display shut off after about 5 seconds.

Towed to dealer. His crack staff said that it was a bad sensor in the steering cloumn, which they replaced. 250 miles later it is doing the same thing, but no messages.

Dealer says that I have to drive it until it fails before they can troubleshoot further. I said that Volvo must have a technical support database that may give them clues.

Help?

Jim

“I said that Volvo must have a technical support database that may give them clues.”

One would hope, but obviously this is not the case. Or perhaps your dealer just doesn’t want to consult the database. Either way, it’s time to look for an alternative to the Volvo dealer.

Find an independent shop that specializes in Volvo. There must be one SOMEWHERE in your area. I live in a small town, and there are several independent Volvo mechanics from which to choose. Look around. You will find someone who can help you take care of your Volvo, and probably save you some money.