Visibility fix for 2010 Toyota Matrix?

I purchased a used (former rental) car in 2012, hoping it would be my last car (drove my Corolla wagon for 30+ years). My vision is impeded by both the large side mirrors and also the thick supports on either side of the windshield. The problem persists even seated on a thick cushion (and I will only be getting shorter). Is there any solution? I really don’t want to replace this otherwise satisfactory car. Thanks!

Didn’t you notice that before you bought the car?

There is no solution for this except trading the car for a different one. Drive the next candidate as far as the salesman will let you so you identify any problems before you buy the car.

You can use fisheye mirrors on both sides

It won’t fix the problem 100% . . . but it can help a LOT

I think this person is complaining about the mirrors blocking her view . But she has been driving like this for at least 6 years. And the only solution is to find a vehicle that suits her .

School Bus drivers have this same problem and are taught to “rock and roll” when approaching an intersection, that is lean forward and back to see anything approaching from the side that may be hiding behind one of your mirrors.

1 Like

Drive the vehicle for a while and you’ll get use to it.

I went from a 95 Nissan pickup to a 97 Accord. And the first thing I noticed was the A pillar in the accord was thicker than on the pickup. And the windows/windshield on the Accord are shorter than the pickup.

Just need to get use to the change.

Tester

Simply get a new Lexus with the optional rear view cameras mounted on stalks, which replace the outside review mirrors. A $50,000 answer to your problem.
Hopefully the technology will spread. It can include wider angles of view, blind spot monitoring, and brightness enhancement in the dark. Stalks will also most likely become smaller.

Nothing to do about the A-pillars (windshield supports). There are airbags hiding in there, and they take up space. The days of super-thin A-pillars are long over.

3 Likes

Right. Also rock and roll when merging, or changing lanes: look in the side mirror for anything in your blind spot, or fast approaching; move fore and aft and side to side while you look. Then also turn your head and look out the windows.

The times you don’t do this are the times you may regret. My first such regret was at age 17. Fortunately the only damage was to my sense of invulnerability.

I think the original issue was the driver felt the thick pillar and the mirror itself were blocking her forward and side vision. Since she’s been driving the car since 2012, and these things don’t change with time, if she feels the problem is somehow getting worse my suggestion is to have her vision rechecked with a complete exam, including her visual fields. It’s possible she’s losing some vision in her peripheral area. Most of us here are getting more familiar with the fact that time marches on and things do deteriorate in our once perfect bodies.

The only fix for a vehicle with poor outward vision is to get a vehicle with better outward vision.