VIN are car are NOT a match!

OK, I’m going to go out on a limb a little and say with computers and bar codes and assembly lines, it is virtually impossible for a VIN to not correspond to the car. So back to basics. The VIN would be the metal stamped and bar coded plate permanently attached to the dash area and visible through the windshield. There should be no evidence of tampering. Also the same number will be on paper tags on other parts such as the fenders to see if they all match. Sometimes a title will get mixed up but if your title matches the plate on the car, that’s the biggest thing.

Now the VIN only has basic information including, the company, engine, trans, vehicle type, year, plant built, and then the sequential number. It may not have information such as the trim level. There is another document called a build sheet that will have a code for every option put on the car. Located sometimes in the trunk, glove box, under the seat, by spare tire, etc. Very hard to decipher the codes even with the factory service manual, but a dealer can.

So I think first verify the VIN according to the factory service manual, dealer, or maybe it can be found on line. See if that matches what you have. If not, then you’re gonna have to go back to the dealer to see what happened. Otherwise, the build sheet might clarify the parts in question depending on what exactly the part is. Also, after-market lists that parts houses have may not be accurate.

This happens from time to time

It just means it’s going to continue being a major pain, when it comes to getting correct parts for your car

What it means is this . . . each and every time you’ll have to tell the parts counter guy to get you what you asked for, NOT what his computer tells you the car needs

Did the dealer inform you that the vehicle had any sort of body work. If so, the dash VIN plate and/or door VIN sticker may differ from title due to being swapped. If not, then I would quickly inform the police. Better that you let them know ASAP so you don’t look guilty if it happens that its stolen.

You are replying to thread that started in 2014 and the person that started it never returned.

Yep old old. I have to say though that in all my life, I have never compared the VIN on the plate with the title before taking the car, and hardly ever even afterwards. The police have enough to do without reading VINs.

2 Likes

Titled my triumph in wi, in 89. Never got plated. Owned it since 79 lost the title now got to get bonded etc for a new title. kind of pissed as cannot look it up, sure my bad i lost the title but now i have to pay insurance company and the state for a bonded title. I registered the bike, had a title and now you cannot find it and I have to go through this carp and expense?

So to have you not flag me what is your suggestion? Would Fark be ok?

Not sure how your ranting here is going to solve this problem . But if it makes you feel better .

1 Like

Yes it makes me feel better, thank you.

1 Like

Heh heh. Whaddaya need a title for? Back in the 60’s my BIL used to have a very nice 1940 Ford. I asked him last year what ever happened to it. He said he thinks he knows who has it but didn’t say anymore. I suspect it was one of his pals around Little Chicago. Obviously the guy hasn’t had a title to it for over 50 years and I’d like to have it. So if you happen through that little burb with a house and a bar and see a 40 Ford sitting there, let me know. I’ll go grab it.

I used to be scatterbrained when it came to keeping paperwork. Getting a file cabinet and folders revolutionized my life.

What state are you in? I have never heard of a bonded title. wWat is that and why do you have to pay an insurance company?

I used to have a nice yellow 1970 Mustang fastback, I sold it to someone who lived in Minnesota, if you see that car steal it for me.

1 Like

A bonded title , also known as a “Certificate of Title Surety”, is a document that proves a person’s ownership of a motor vehicle. It can be used in place of a standard vehicle title in order to register a car with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), buy insurance for the car, or sell the car.

Of course, one takes the risk the original owner might somehow find the vehicle and lay claim. One story I recall, a (woman?) had a dilapidated VW van stolen. It passed thru at least a couple hands and ended up, fully restored, on sale to an overseas buyer. She (or the insurance company?) reclaimed the vehicle. It’s been a lot of years since I read that story.

Agreed, but the one time I did check was on a MGA. Even with a rod going out, it was too cheap. That was shortly after (less than honest) wrecking yards would sell titles. The smart guys also bought the VIN and pop riveted it to the car.

A relative of mine bought a used car from a dealership and drove it for 4 years. Then one day, a garage noticed that the VIN # on the dash didn’t match the one on the door and let him know. He said likely, the dashboard got replaced at some point a few years into the previous owner’s time having it and they just never removed the dash’s number or changed it. The dealership, financing, registration, insurance, everything and everyone involved for years has used the dashboard number and no one ever mentioned it didn’t belong on that year/make/model. Here’s the weird part…the sticker on the frame inside the driver’s door is 2 years OLDER - so we’re currently trying to figure out if the frame got replaced or if he was sold a car that was actually 2 years older than the dealership thought. When we hear about how to fix this or handle it, I’ll get back on here.

It would have to be an old car to have the VIN plate attached to the dash, starting in 2002 the VIN plate had to be attached to a fixed bracket, not the dash. I have replaced many instrument panels and had to transfer the VIN plate to the new one but that changed years ago.

If there really was a mix up with the VIN on the dash, how did the dealer obtain a title for the other car to sell this one? It is more likely that a used door as been installed on the car. It is possible to get a new VIN label for the door from the manufacture but nobody wants to go though all that work.