Lease Buyout Wrong VIN

Yesterday I went to the dealership that I leased a car from to purchase the car now that the term is up. After signing the paperwork I’ve realized now that the car I purchased on paper isn’t the car I’ve been driving for 3 years. I leased a 2016 and all the paperwork I came home with lists a new 2018 model on it with a VIN of car still sitting on a dealer lot elsewhere in the state.

I read each document before signing and I admit my eye went right past the model year and I don’t have my VIN memorized but isn’t this a rather large “messup” by be dealership? I financed the purchase through the dealer but have not heard from them today.

Other than comments on me being dim for signing the dotted line on a car I haven’t checked the VIN for I’d be I interested in hearing thoughts. I’ve been vague on purpose but the make is “above” a Honda and “below” a BMW. Anything I should look out for when I engage the dealership? How should I approach the situation, communicate with the sales guy or get in touch with the GM? Expect a 2018 upgrade because both sides signed a dozen documents? I’ve spoken with a couple car guys and neither have heard of this happening.

Thanks in advance.

That sucks having your brand new BMW stolen before you even got to drive it. :rofl:

I’d call the dealer and let them know about the screw-up on the paperwork.

The finance guy at the dealer probably just screwed up.

People make mistakes, VINs are copied and pasted in error. Return to the dealer and have the contract rewritten.

I’d go back and ask them why I was given a Honda when I clearly bought a BMW. Just be ready for jokes about the guy who bought a BMW, but didn’t realize he was given a Honda instead.

Sedag knows the car but has not told us what it is. He has bought the same car he had leased and has been driving. The paperwork is incorrect.

I was in a similar situation when I bought my 2010 Cobalt except the paperwork was correct but they gave me the wrong car (same color, and equipment). They called me a few days later and I went back to the dealer and switched cars, end of story.

Hopefully it’s just an honest mistake.

Ed B.

It’s a contract. It has no meaning other than the words on the paper both parties signed. They are liable to fulfill it or pay damages. If you were Donald Trump you’d sicc your lawyers on them to get the maximum judgment (if you believe his claim that he never settles). That’s what a ‘successful’ (= makes the most money) businessperson would do.

I don’t understand how a 2018 would be listed as those would not even have been on the dealer lots 3 years ago when the paper was processed. Or even shipped to the dealers. Or even manufactured yet…
If it were me, I’d be in there with the GM and sort this out rather than risk something happening to a 2018 and you getting the blame for any damages or whatever on a car you’ve never seen.

I can’t say that I’ve ever heard of anything like this although some years ago when I worked for a Subaru dealer my VIN was in outer space. Somewhere.
I was going to perform a Recall on my own car (sold new by the dealer I worked for) and Subaru of America kept saying my VIN did not exist.
They kept saying there must have been a mistake when submitting the VIN. A dozen submissions by both me and the warranty clerk and the VIN submitted was dead-on, 100% correct. It never did get straightened out.

You can’t be serious…

Thanks for the responses. I ended up sending an email to the GM with a screenshot of the car I was “sold” sitting on another dealership’s lot with the VIN highlighted. Got a call within minutes. He was hat in hand choosing his words carefully saying he didn’t know how the error had happened but would get to the bottom of it. I had just begun to describe how I didn’t appreciate the situation when he jumped in with an offer of a free 150 point inspection/service and another year extended warranty. He then had the new docs couriered to me at work to sign within an hour.

All in all the situation was handled about as well as I had hoped. Big lesson learned. Assume nothing and right after you check the fine print go ahead and check the large print while you’re at it.

1 Like

Not remotely.

Although I had a buddy tell me to wait a couple weeks to see if the dealer noticed the error. Said after the financial side purchased the lien it would be hell to unwind and compensation would grow exponentially. Decided to be honest and really who knows how sideways that could have gotten.

(Sorry for the double post.)

That was terrible advice and glad you did not take it .

It’s just your normal everyday screw-up. No big deal. I’ve done similar things, reviewing a contract and all the fine print, but missing a big error in the heading. Who thinks to look there when you are looking to see if someone is trying to slip something past you? Really, your contact with the dealership and their reaction sounds to me like reasonable people behaving like adults.

2 Likes