Vibration / shuddering when stepping on gas or on cruise control

Hope you’re having a great day! I have a relatively well kept 2018 Chevy Camaro with 35k miles on it. It gets driven ~50 miles a week, except during summer when we take it on long road trips (300-2000 mile round trips).

In the past week, I’ve noticed a kind of vibration or shuddering when the car uses gas, either manually (when stepping on the pedal) or on cruise control. The check engine light is not on and tires have plenty of tread. ~2500 miles ago the dealer (during routine service) gave it thumbs up and indicated no problems.

Recognizing that there could be a host of possible reasons for the shuddering, can I get the general categories to examine?

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Depending on when you bought it, it could still be under Chevy’s warranty. I’d try that first.

If the warranty is up, you need to explain things in greater detail and give more info about the car for us to even give a decent guess as to the problem. Start with what engine and transmission type. Then if there is a check engine light on or not. Next, where do you feel the vibration? In the steering wheel? Floorboards? Seat? Coming from the front or back? Any noise or just vibration?

2 Likes

chevy has had problems with their automatic trannys for a few years. there even has been a class action law suit for different models including yours.

GM Transmission Problem Lawsuit | Shuddering, Shaking | ClassAction.org

Shaking and shuddering when changing gears

Many Chevrolet cars with 8-speed 8L90 and 8L45 transmission suffer from an issue known as ‘Chevy shudder.’

Several symptoms may occur during gear shifts, including shaking, juddering, and harsh shifting. In some cases, there even might be a noticeable clunk. This issue affects all gears, although more noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear.

Possible causes

• This is a well-known issue that affects all GM vehicles with this 8-speed transmission, leading to a class-action lawsuit. According to the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 18-NA-355), flushing factory-used transmission fluid and swapping it for Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP fluid may improve the situation.
  • If there is no noticeable improvement after transmission fluid flush, the torque converter could be glazed, especially if it was used with this issue for a long time. Replacing the torque converter will solve the issue.
2 Likes

Thank you for the responses @Mustangman and @weekend-warrior. I will call dealer about this.

1 Like

The correct solution may have already been mentioned but I will throw this in anyway. You did not state if this shudder occurs at all speeds or only if in a certain range.

If in a certain speed range then it could well be the fluid and/or converter. This is common with Fords and some other makes also. Changing the fluid always cured that problem on my Fords so never needed a converter although the bulletin from Ford stated that it might.

If it occurs at all speed ranges then you might consider a faulty fuel injector.
Last year my son’s 2013 Camaro started shuddering. He took it to the Chevy dealer where he lives and his car had a faulty injector. They told him there had been some problems with injectors and they replaced all of them on that side under warranty.
Just something for consideration.

This was my thought also. I’m struggling with similar circumstances. My 2020 Buick Envision has. Very small shudder in 1st gear and maybe 2nd. Happens between 1700 and 2000 r.p.m. under light acceleration. Most noticable when taking off with low to medium load going up a hill. It was pretty intermittent at first and barely noticable so I didn’t want to take it in for warranty because I didn’t think they would notice the symptoms. It must be getting a little worse now because I’ve decided to mention it at my next oil change. I’m personally convinced it is torque converter shutter.