Vacuum Cleaner System Built Into New Honda Odyssey

The Detroit News, Today, Has A Story By David Shepardson About The On-Board Vacuum System Available On 2014 Honda Odysseys.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130327/AUTO0104/303270331/Honda-rolls-out-built-vacuum-Odyssey-minivan?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

I have a few reactions:
Why didn’t I think of that ?
What’s next, an on-board car wash ?
Meet the Jetsons !

Do you want one on your next vehicle or is this stuff getting out of hand ?
And what about the technicians, will they need Martha Stewart training to diagnose and fix these things ?

CSA

If they’re willing to add that weight and expense to the vehicle, I think my vote would have been for a compressor or inflator for the tires instead.

I hope it’s a wet/dry vac. Little ones rarely make messes that are dry.

I remember when a “power drive” system was added to Hoover vacuum cleaners. It supposedly made the vacuum easier to use because it propelled itself. I think all it did was add the the complexity of the machine. I think adding a vacuum cleaner system to the Odyssey just increases the complexity of the vehicle.
I think that simpler is better, but keep in mind I’m the type of guy that thought the 1957-58 Studebaker Scotsman was one of the best cars ever made and I refuse to buy a self propelled lawnmower.

This stuff is really getting out of hand. We actually need less complex vehicles. I can think of several things that could be eliminated today and I would never miss them at all.

Some minivans actually DO have a built-in compressor/tire inflator.

I think my vote would have been for a compressor or inflator for the tires instead.

That would require the company to assume that their vehicle owners actually bothered to check the air in the tires at all. The majority of car owners probably never touch a tire pressure gauge in their lives.

Just like a Kirby, just reverse it and you can fill up beach balls or spray paint or bug spray. The sky is the limit.

A waste in my opinion and yet a certain percentage of the population will go into new car debt just because of a sales gimmick like this.

That same percentage will probably be posting on Car Talk in the future. Help! The vacuum system on my Honda failed and it’s going to cost 5 grand to replace.

This vacuum cleaner system on the Honda Odyssey would be wasted on Triedaq, as he would never be able to figure out how to make it work. He can’t even find the switch to turn on our Eureka upright household vacuum cleaner.

Mrs. Triedaq

Can’t Find The Switch Or Won’t Find The Switch ?
CSA

Honda will do that, but won’t put adaptive cruise control in the Odyssey, even on the most expensive trim level.

“That same percentage will probably be posting on Car Talk in the future.
Help! The vacuum system on my Honda failed and it’s going to cost 5 grand to replace.”

+1
Yup!
We can look forward to those posts in about 2-3 years.

They have not updated their Nav system for a while and everybody is complaining. One could get a rechargeable, hand held vacuum for ~$25.

Those small hand held vacuums suck (or rather they don’t suck) - pardon the pun.

I have a nice 8 gallon canister vacuum. Very powerful. Does a great job. I can’t imagine the vacuum built in the Honda is very good. Not a feature I want or need…and really don’t want to pay for it.

Ya know I remember my grampa saying, I don’t need this, and I don’t need that, because when it breaks it will cost me dearly. He never had an electric window in his car, and now we need a vacuum? Put the money into longevity not silly toys. imhop.

This has me thinking about cargo vans. You can clean them with an air compressor. I never needed anything but compressed air for any of my rubber floored pickups either. Clean in one minute.