V6 vs 4 cylinder

It all must be in the execution. While an I4 might be theoretically better than an V6, I’ve never been in a 4cyl that was smoother than a 60degree V6. And an O-4 should be smooth, but Subarus have never impressed me with their smoothness.

Enough power is completely subjective and a personal choice.

I agree completely. But SOME people buy a V6 or V8 because they THINK they need more power. My Mother-in-law almost bought a V6 Accord back in 95. My idiot brother-in-law was talking her into it. There is no way she ever needed that extra power…especially the way she drove. MANY MANY people are persuaded by Marketing…not by reason.

Also 4 cylinder does not automatically mean better fuel economy in all vehicles cases. For example the Toyota RAV4 with 4cylinder vs 6 cylinder gets nearly identical mileage with no vehicle better than the other.

True…Back in the 80’s the V6 S-10 SUV got better gas mileage then the 4-cylinder…The reason was the 4-cylinder really was too small…and even the lightest grade it would have to down-shift just to maintain speed. The 6-cylinder wouldn’t have to downshift thus maintaining lower rpms and better mileage. The 4-cylinder might get better gas mileage in Florida where it’s very flat.

The thing with the 4cy is you can’t be afraid to rev it a bit, its meant to and it won’t hurt it. The 6cyl is overpowered, If thats your thing great, but for most people they will never use it.

Back in the 70’s people were putting V8’s in Vega’s and Pinto’s. WHY…I have no idea.

I don’t like a 4 cylinder anything!! They make more noise, vibrate more,& have less power.

I can show you many 4-cylinder engines that are very smooth…with more power then many V-6’s. It’s all in how it’s designed. Making a blanket statement like that is stupid.

V6 runs smoother and has more power than a 4 banger