V6 vs 4 cylinder

There’s no question that a V6 will run smoother…and has more power. The question is…Does the 4-cylinder have ENOUGH power?? I could have gotten V8 4runner…but instead I got the V6. Why get the V8 if the V6 has MORE then enough power??

This bit of trivia has little relevance to a comparison of two specific engines, but back in Engineering Dynamics class, where the motion of all moving parts of the engine are expressed mathematically, we learned that the best reciprocating engine design, easy to balance, no pesky harmonic vibrations to mask, etc, is a straight six. It is no accident that most of the most reliable engines in the history of automobiles have been straight sixes.

Back to the math - after a straight six, next best design is a straight four, followed by a V-8. The toughest engine to design and get to run smoothly is a V-6. The reason for the popularity of V-6s is because six cyl is a practical size for the displacement and power needed for a passenger car, and a V-6 can be built in low weight, compact package. If size and weight were not considerations, the engineer would never choose a V-six design over a straight six.

For most people the 4 cylinder will be enough. Honda’s V6 is pretty powerful in this size of vehicle. The current V6 model produces 271 HP. The I4s have either 177 HP or 190 HP, which should satisfy most. For fuel mileage the difference is not much, The I4 gets about 2 MPG better than the V6. But the V6 does have almost a 100 HP advantage. Keep in mind though, like nearly all Honda engines, there is little torque availible with either 4 cylinder. The V6 will be much better from a standing start. Overall I would spring for the V6, but that’s just me.

Would the engineer choose a V-6 over a straight four if the straight four had an adequate power to weight ratio?

The timing belt on my 2004 honda civic lx is supposed to be replaced every 110k. Ours has 109880 on it right now and I am going to change it this weekend. The only time you need to change it at 60k is if the car is operated often in -10 below weather or 110 or hotter. I think most newer hondas have a 105k or 110k interval. I just make sure to replace it with a oem belt, and I do the waterpump and tensioner.

My take on it is this, the 4cyl is adequate for any daily driving need, unless you need to go 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. The thing with the 4cy is you can’t be afraid to rev it a bit, its meant to and it won’t hurt it. The 6cyl is overpowered, If thats your thing great, but for most people they will never use it.
I have 2 co-workers that have newer dodge ram pickups, one has the 4.7 v-8 and tows trailers and plows snow with it (basically uses it as a truck instead of a gas guzzling grocery getter) My other coworker has the 5.7 hemi, the most he tows is a little boat my 6cyl jeep could handle without trouble, But by God, hes got a “hemi” under the hood. And we wonder why were in such trouble.

Enough power is completely subjective and a personal choice.

Also 4 cylinder does not automatically mean better fuel economy in all vehicles cases. For example the Toyota RAV4 with 4cylinder vs 6 cylinder gets nearly identical mileage with no vehicle better than the other.

No such thing as too much power. The Hemi is the better choice in a full sized 4x4 RAM. The pre-08 4.7L doesn’t bring much to the table. The Hemi gets 1 MPG better than the 4.7L. Of course if someone is buying a full sized, they probably aren’t after great gas mileage anyway. My daily driver runs a sub 13 second 1/4 mile. Do I need that much power to drive 4 miles to work (speed limit 45 MPH)? No. But I like having it.

Ask you insurance company how much more to insure a 6 cylinder engine. We had an Accord EX w/6 cylinder…it was the most expensive item on ourinsurance bill.

My point was most people that buy a full size pickup don’t use it. My friend gets by just fine with the 4.7 in his truck (its an 05). If you want to drive a beast like that back and forth to work in suburbia (I am making assumptions here, but am I right?) I guess its your right, but I hope your not one thats complaining about gas prices like a spoiled child, because in my experience the people that are crying the loudest about fuel cost are the people with pickups and suvs that dont really need them. I have a gas guzzling jeep but I also have a 4cyl Pickup and a honda civic. I am honest about what I need, if gas hits 6 dollars I will laugh.

I’m pretty mechanically inclined so I know what to expect in terms of what kind of mileage a car gets and I weigh that accordingly with what is acceptable to me. My Mustang gets about 20 MPG overall which I think is quite good for the power it produces. My Bronco gets about 10 MPG which again is acceptable to me for what I use it for. For me gas would have to get up to around $10 a gallon before I would even contemplate getting a vehicle that gets better fuel mileage. For me the trade off in performance simply is not worth it. Granted, most people don’t share the same ideals as me when it comes to fuel economy, but that’s their prerogative. You won’t see me complaining about gas prices I knew what the deal was when I made my bed, and so far I’ve been resting comfortably.

Manolito, where would you put a flat-4 in that heirarchy?

I’ve heard that an O-4 is superior to a I-4 because 1. packaging allows for a shorter, lighter crank, and 2. the shorter crank implies lower moment-arms for the forces produced.

Now, supposedly an O-4 is superior to an O-6 as the latter is an “odd-fire engine.”

I have never seen a timing chain in a honda/acura 4-banger. Anyone else?

Honda/acura engines are not interference engines. No engine damage will result, but the towing will add to belt replacement. In canada 4-banger with A/C will cost roughly 60-80$ for belt and 2hrs labour at 59$/hr. 6cyl is about the same cost for belt but add aprox 1hr more cuz more parts are removed and replaced. Recomend 60000m severe use in US, 110000k in Canada cuz of hostile weather and road abrassives used to de-ice roads.

Huh?
Honda/Acura engines are definitely interference engines.

The last interference engine I saw was in 1995, Acura and honda. Sorry, should have been clearer. And then not all were. Would have to check this on internet to be more scpecific stronzo.

Here’s a good reference guide: http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598&go=Interference

When you look up a belt, the “comments” section will tell you whether or not it’s an interference engine. Gates lists a timing belt up to at least 2002 for the 4 cyl. Accord, and they are all interference as far back as I looked.

We never did the math for an O-4, and I am way too many years out of school to tackle that homework problem now.

I have always thought that the opposed engines seemed like a good idea, but I am no expert on them.

Honda/acura engines are not interference engines.

Who told you that?? They most certainly are interference engines…Some later years 4-cylinders went to chains…but the engines that use Belts are still interference. Just go to www.Gates.com.

My '89 Honda Accord has a 4 cylinder . . . I bought it new and put about 20k a year on it, more or less. It now has 475,000 miles on it, best car I’ve ever owned. The 4 cylinder is a great engine, can’t say about the 6. Rocketman