Used ‘Vette

Museum quality restoration is needed. Sew carpet together and spray a lot of undercoating on it. You should be able to buy the car for less than $7,000 unless you are in Ct.

I check out the collector car consignment store online. So annoying to see fresh undercoating and/or black paint on the entire chassis and suspension.

Back to the ‘Vette, add a turbocharger from a Veloster to it, seems someone wants to remove theirs.

7 Likes

About 15 years ago some guy had a beige Chevette at the drag races one night. Narrowed Ford rear axle, 454 Chevy with an 871 blower on it and a huge set of wheelie bars. Kind of an ugly little twit but godawful fast.

Launches were brutal.

3 Likes

I had to mark that as a “solution” :grin:. Imagining that rusty old Chevette folding in half on the launch…

1 Like

I’ll bet that short little bugger was a nightmare to keep straight as well!

2 Likes

I think it’s great that all that steel is going to be reused. Someday it may be part of a new F150, who knows. Car’s are actually a pretty good as an environmentally friendly recycling item. Good for you SJ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The metal in cars is good. There’s a lot of NON-metal in cars. A lot of plastic.

3 Likes

I don’t think the Chevettes were worse about rusting than many other cars of the late 1970s. The Hondas had a real problem with the front fenders rusting through. I believe Honda actually recalled the cars and replaced the front fenders.

1 Like

Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Subaru all had major rusting problems until the mid 80’s.

And International (Scouts, etc). I think the 80’s in general just sucked for the auto industry lol.

2 Likes

For sure, but I think that the King of premature rusting was the Chevy Blazer of the '70s & '80s. I never saw one of them that didn’t have sheet metal–literally–fluttering in the breeze after 4 years or so.

The King was Chrysler. All their vehicles had premature Front Fender rust problems. Where I lived in Central NY in the 70’s and early 80’s if you never Ziebarted your Chryco then within 3-4 years the front fenders top near the Windshield would probably already have rust holes.

Without doubt.
However, those Chevy Blazers had the same–or more severe problems–on door panels, front fenders, rear fenders, and even the rear bumper!

Anybody know what invention is responsible for the improved rust resistance?

On Grave Yard Cars they use a epoxy primer on their new builds before they paint.

Not an invention just natural move to the desert. :innocent: :grinning:

1 Like

I wondered the same. Galvanization? I don’t know.

1 Like

Not an invention, just better metal treatment. Living near the ocean in Florida nearly all car&truck brands prior to the late 80s would rust. Not uncommon to see three year old vehicles with rust holes.

It wasn’t an invention. It was study done at Syracuse University that was commissioned by several auto manufacturers. Syracuse is the snowiest city in the US. Good research university and a great place to actually do the study.

Many different things came out of that study. One was the eliminate shelves. There were many places underneath vehicles that acted like shelves. Dirt would just there and collect moisture. Inner fender wells. Zinc Oxide coating of metal at factory. Once manufacturers started following many things from that paper there was a substantial decrease in rust.

1 Like

Man, they don’t make carpet like that anymore. Look at it! It’s holding the whole thing together!

1 Like