Used tacoma, tundra or ridgeline?

Hmmmm…
This is exactly the type of failure analysis I used to love being involved in. Sigh.

What things did you do failure analysis on?

I’m back. Yes, Toyota recalled 110,000 2001-2003 Tundras for frame rust.

Countless things, Jesmed.

Failures of Light Off Detectors on GE and P&W jet engines, failures of nickel-to-fused-quartz bonds on UV sensitive gas tubes, failures of the retention of the tubes in their Torlon housings under heat/vibration conditions, failures of jeweled bearings on d’arsenval meter movements, glass-sphere-infused RTV failures under extreme heat/vibration, toroid transformer failures in jet engine components, adhesion failures of gold plated microwave circuitry on fused silica and fused alumina substrates, microfractures in fused silica microwave circuitry substrates (that one was fun), plating failures on precious-metal plated housings, sudden performance decrease of rhodium plated spherical ceramic substrates in removing hydrocarbons (oil fumes) from “house air”, multilayer printed circuit board failures, failed corrosion resistance of “lift rings” on the corners of EMI-protected communication trailers used in Desert Storm, which turned out to be a poorly designed part (wrong coating selection), and countless other things. I’ve always loved figuring out why things fail.

That’s not counting the four years I spent diagnosing and fixing B52 Bomber Automatic Flight Control, navigation, and stability systems.

I’ve been around a while. I could write a book. But I won’t do it here.

Most interesting. You definitely could write a book. Do it before you forget all that stuff. :wink:

Thanks. But it’s the stuff I did yesterday that I can’t remember.

For $10 to $15 k, it’s not a matter of choice, it’s a matter of numbers. The Tacoma out sells the Ridgeline by so many and is more cost effective and cheaper to run then the Tundra, you have a much better chance of getting the best deal on one then the other two. Look for a v6 Tacoma and you can get all the truck you need for towing. If you liked your other Toyota truck and lived with it,you can the newer Tacoma.

The extra cab now called access cab Tacoma should be lower priced then a comparable crew cab designed Ridgeline. Thiswill allow you to get a newer model Tacoma with lower mileage. The same with the Tundra and most other full size trucks. As the Ridgeline is a car based truck, I would still prefer the Tacoma for towing use.

For that price, you should be able to find one with a perfectly good frame. None of my Toyota trucks had frame rust problems in a heavily salted area. It’s a matter of inspection and treating frames like it is any framed truck. You can do it. All vehicles rust if not properly cared for in heavily salted areas. As far as trucks in the $10 to $15 k range, I would take Tacoma over a Ford f150 as far as potential rust problems are concerned any day of the week.

The Tundra was the frame replacement recall and the Tacoma had nearly the same problem, so I guess it was both.