Used minivan considering for buying

Years-wise it’s probably about due for a timing belt. That may be one factor in the owner deciding to sell now and get something different. My 1999 Civic has had two new timing belts and at over 195,000 miles is still doing great. No rust-through anywhere after 20 years in WI and MN. That surface rust on suspension and exhaust components is the way they all look around here after a few years. It makes some repairs more difficult but a 2016 Honda Odyssey isn’t likely to need much beyond maintenance.

The problem is that people often try to sell their car without changing the timing belt for what it might be worth assuming it was properly maintained. It’s up to you–the buyer–to call a seller out on this, and negotiate the price down accordingly, or be prepared to walk if the seller won’t budge.

Looks like curious stuff, I don’t think my 03 looks that bad after 17 years in WI winters. Wondering if it had salt water flooding.

1 Like

Pictures 2, 3, and 4 look more dirty than rusted. The exhaust rust on the flanges gives me pause, but otherwise, it seems OK. The castings on the wheels are heavily rusted, but they are heavy components. What does your mechanic say?

I got it inspected by a trusted mechanic, and he has come up with a list of repairs/estimates, but aside from that, he has given the OK to purchase the car as he didnt see something that could be a deal breaker.

4 Likes

Adjust the price to pay for the things it needs, and enjoy the van.