Buying a used mini van milage/year?

Well twins are on the way and a mini van is needed. We have been researching and have noticed that used mini vans seem to have lots of miles. We are seeing about 30-40,000yr. Is this the norm for a mini van?

Also I like the honda, while my hubby is looking for anything decent miles/good price. Is is better to spend a bit more money on a older honda (02-03) with reasonable miles 15-20,000yr or a newer dodge (05-06) with lots miles?

Thanks for any opinions!

Before you buy a Honda, I would go to Edmunds.com and read up on the transmission problems.

My take on it is:
The 1998 - 2003 have a design problems that causes premature transmission death. Honda has extended its warranty on the 98 - 01 transmissions to either 100k or 109k (depending on whether it was included in the class action lawsuit settlement, so many owners receive a rebuilt transmission at Honda’s expense. However the rebuilt transmission may still have the design flaw. It seems the transmission was redesigned for the 2004 model year, so 2004 and later models do not have this problem.

Here is a link:

While Honda and Toyota make good minivans, the new Chrysler looks nice too. Personally, I don’t know about the new Chrysler, but in recent years they have been a lot less reliable than the Hondas and Toyotas. If I were in your position, I would look for a 2002 Honda Odyssey or a 2002 Toyota Sienna with less than 100,000 miles.

i have head alot about both but, i’m would say to get the dodge or chrysler becuse i have had 3 of them and they all lasted more than 165,000 miles with out a tranny or motor going out. the most i have had to pay was when my second on had the ac go out at 175,000. my frist one lasted 200,855 and was still driving strong till i got my second one. so even with high miles they last a long time. besides dodge hold 50% of the minvan market honda only 10%. ex i can go to work and see at lest 10 or more minvans like mine.

mopar man

Test drive a 2003 Olds Silhouette Premium. It has rear A/C, leather seats, DVD, and is the most comfortable of the early 2000s GM minivans. The price should be excellent. We have one and are pleased with it. It’s narrower than the Dodge, Toyota, and Honda, but that is not a problem for us. You get 4 captain’s chairs an a rear bench. Even the bench reclines. Don’t be put off by the demise of Oldsmobile in 2004. GM still supports them. You should find service at any Chevrolet or Pontiac dealer, since the vans were similar among those 3 brands. As I mentioned, the Olds is the best in the bunch.

A friend bought one of these, and spent extra for an extended warranty, then got hosed when they refused to pay for an intake manifold gasket repair. It’s a nice van, but the V6 GM engines had intake manifold gasket problems. Just something to be aware of.