Used minivan considering for buying

All, I live in Georgia and am eyeing a 2016 Honda Odyssey that has 43K miles on it, but has been mostly in the Salt Belt - New Jersey, Michigan. As expected, being in the NE, there is a lot of rust on the cars, but I need help from you experts whether what you see in the pictures is fine for a 3-4 year old van having been primarily in the Salt Belt. Do the pics give you pause? Would you buy this vehicle? What replacements would you suggest at a minimum?

Thanks in advance.

Looks about normal but what the pics do not reveal is whether or not those steering and suspension components are worn or not due to road salt.
Even if there was zero rust any used car is a coin toss. A pre-purchase inspection can certainly help but even that is not a guarantee of a problem free ride.

I’m a big fan of Honda Odysseys, and I know how tough it is to find a new(er) one with low miles.

Personally I’d pass on this one, though. The rust is a concern for me, or would be. There’s no “definite” answer on how much rust is too much.

Plus, I’d also wonder… why did someone trade in a relatively “young” Odyssey this early? Typically people keep them until they’re well over 100K miles or more.

I’d keep looking.

3 Likes

I live in Georgia and I would not touch it there are plenty of minivan’s for sale that never saw the north let alone salted road’s.

1 Like

Looks about normal for that time in the Salt Belt. As long as the basic systems check out - engine, trans, brakes, any collision damage, ect. it wouldn’t scare me off.

1 Like

I had the same impression as ok4450. Pay a trusted mechanic to do an inspection.
I think the Honda Odyssey may have a timing belt and an interference engine. The timing belt replacement will be a maintenance expense coming in the near future if I am correct.

And that timing belt replacement will cost around $700. I think it needs to be done every 7 years or 100K miles (check the manual)… but don’t be surprised when it comes time.

The way I look at rust it is like a iceberg you can only see the tip there is usualy a lot that you can not see.

only picture #2 shows some of the body, and it is in good shape (as much as can be seen)

the rest is some “normal” rust, which I would not be worried about much

the good inspection should be done, but I would not be scared to buy this one, especially since it will be used in the south, where further damage will slow down

if the price is right and it does not fail the inspection, why not?

1 Like

If you can find a licensed, professional shop willing to replace the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner for $700, I would JUMP on that bargain! Around here, a timing belt replacement on all but the easiest-to-work-on models costs around $1000, and we are by no means a high cost of living area!