Used hybrid info

Hello.
My girlfriend is looking to get rid of her falling apart, uninspectable, Chevy Cavalier. She would really like to get a hybrid. Either a Toyota Prius, Camry or a Honda CR-Z. I reall would like to know what to look out for, trouble spots, battery life, etc. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you. :slight_smile:

I read in Consumer Reports that a survey of early-generation Prius showed that the batteries were still up to about 90% capacity at 150,000 to 200,000 miles.

I heard somewhere that Honda hybrids have had a lot of trouble in the last 10 years.

Camry hybrids have been reliable, and use a similar setup to the Prius.

Batteries tend to go bad with age, not usually mileage. Whether you drive 10,000 miles a year or you drive 50,000 miles a year, your batteries will probably last just as long. Other parts of the car will wear faster with mileage, but the batteries shouldn’t.

The main thing you and your girlfriend should consider is how much she drives and what kind of driving she does. If your girlfriend doesn’t put a lot of miles on her car, or her commute is mostly highway traffic, a hybrid might not be cost effective.

Lastly, what makes this Cavalier uninspectable?

I drive a 2010 Honda Insight (bought new, now 48K miles). I average 50mpg and have had no issues yet. However, I wouldn’t recommend a used one (Civic and CRZ Hybrids use essentially the same drivetrain). They use a wet multiplate start clutch which can be jerky and, if driven like a common torque convertor automatic (i.e., push the gas & go with no thought process), will probably have a shortened life. There’s a reason Honda discontinued the Insight. The Toyota Prius has none of these issues (I just think it got hit too many times with the ugly stick).

Thanks for the replies. Good to know about the Honda. Will definitely avoid at all costs. To answer your question Whitey, her Cavalier is leaking PS fluid, needs new rear struts and the doors are quite literally ready to fall off. The car has nearly 200,000 miles on it as well and issues with rust. In any case it would cost more to fix than it’s worth.