Used car under 60k, from 2015+ and under 50k miles

Hi there. I am looking to buy a used car for 60k, that is from 2015+ and has decent miles, preferably under 50k. I came down to 4 models: BMW M6,Jaguar F-Type R, Nissan GTR, Porsche 911 Carrera, So far I am still searching the market for deals on these models and trying to decide which one would be best for me. Here is my experience and thoughts with each model:

BMW M6:
Both the 2 door coupe and the 4 door grand coupe would work for me. A relatively heavy feeling car, but with lots of power to back it from the 4.4V bi-turbo 560 HP that pushes the rear back relatively easy for drifting, but on back roads the weight can be felt and I think it impacts the way the car is handled. The interior is quite nice, the exhaust notes are decent (better with straight pipes) and the overall look of the car is decent, but not significantly different than normal lower series BMW.

Jaguar F-Type R:
By far the most good looking car from this list with excellent exhaust notes. If I needed the car to show off, this have been perfect, but I want a car to still be enjoyable on back roads and fun on track days, which this can be in lower speeds, but as you go faster the car is tail happy and oversteers alot, so you need to be extra careful then trying to enjoy the car. The interior is beautiful, a really nice place to be.

Nissan GTR:
I am talking about the premium model. If I needed a car to drag race or purely for performance, I would choose this car no questions asked. 0-60 just under 3 seconds, 11 seconds to 1/4 mile and all wheel drive makes this car the best performance on paper. In reality is still really enjoyable in any condition, public streets, back roads, track, the only issue might be the non-ceramic brakes that soften quick rapidly, otherwise from the driving stand point it is really enjoyable. On the downside, I don’t think the car is particularly beautiful looking, the interior feels really cheap and the exhaust note is way softer than other cars of this list (because of the bi-turbo v6).

Porsche 911 Carerra:
There is a saying “You can not go wrong with a Porsche”. The handling, the driving feeling, and the overall experience with the 911 (991 models) is one of the best, the rear engine and rear drive feel so good on backroads and track. The interior is decent (also has 4 seats which might be considered a plus), and the overall look of the car, although not greatly changed for 50 years, I think it quite beautiful from all angles. There are some downsides too in this car, the engine fells a bit underpowered on a straight line, or when you need more power and undesteers a lot. Also the exhaust not it is not really loud enough for my taste (some straight pipes will help).

As you can see this is why I could not decide which car should I buy. Each car is exceeding in some way over the others, M6 is really powerfull, F-Type is really beautifull and sounds awsome, GTR is a racing machine, and Porche has an overall good performance. I am still trying to decide which car would better fit me, so any help and suggestions would help me tremendously. Thank you for your time!

I am having trouble taking this thread serious . How in the world would anyone know what vehicle is best for a complete stranger of unknown location or transportation needs.

1 Like

You forgot the Mercedes e63 AMG.
Ill take the wagon please!

None of these cars would be useful to me, even if offered as a gift. A car is a machine that takes me where I need to go, not a fashion accessory to show off. I want something that will take me where I need to go for the lowest monthly cost, and none of these models can do that.

Kind of have to wonder why a 3 or 4 year old car is half the value of new.

Why are they so desperate to sell them?

The Nissan and the Porsche would be far more reliable as track cars. The brakes are a non-issue as all can be (and should be) upgraded with brake pads suitable for track use. Ignore ceramic brake rotors for the Porsche as well since the iron rotors work really well and the replacement costs for the ceramics are very, very high. And they are very fragile. Nick one changing a wheel and you must replace it. Most track day guys where I live use iron rotors because they are a wear item.

The Porsche’s understeer is all in your hands. They are rear engine cars, they take a different driving style. Period. Since it is a Carerra, tons of aftermarket exhaust systems are available to make it sound like anything you want. The car was built for track days and will be fast and reliable in the right driver’s hands. My buddy owns one, tracks it, and loves the car street or track.

Same for the Nissan although the GTR’s all wheel drive is much more forgiving for less talented drivers. They make terrific track cars and they are FAST and durable. Aftermarket exhausts are available for these as well to make them sound much better. I’ve driven with many at track days alongside them and they pound around all day long without overheating anything. The looks are in the eyes of the beholder.

The BMW is a fat pig. The Jag sounds nice but that is no reason to buy one. Neither will be that much fun at track days as they will overheat and brake fade. Both will be unreliable money pits.

Straight pipes are just a childish thought from one who knows nothing about cars. Same for the comments about drifting. I suspect this is just a mental exercise from some high school kid that made a bet with his buddies but I still answered the question.

3 Likes

For an amateur, a 911 will handle with understeer, understeer, understeer, OVEEERSTEEER; HELP ME SOMEB….

1 Like

That is my suspicion, also.
Similar posts in the past have proven to be exactly that, in most cases.
:thinking:

1 Like

Consider a Cayman S or GTS instead of the 911. It’s less expensive and handles better. You don’t need the fake back seat in the 911. At 325 hp for the S and 340 for the GTS, there’s plenty of power.

1 Like

There is a gorgeous, fully restored 68 Plymouth GTX on Hemmings with a 440, 52000 miles, that will outrun every car on your list for $55K. It might give you more smiles per mile.

Finding a 2015 GT-R or 911 with under 50k miles for under $60k is a tough ask. 911’s hold their value pretty well far as luxury/sports cars go, and GT-R’s are fairly rare, which keeps their values high. The GT-R would likely run either at just over $65k and a 911 GTS would about $90k. At any rate someone with the means to purchase any of these cars probably wouldn’t be looking for advice on random forums, and likely wouldn’t consider putting straight pipes on a high end sportscar.

1 Like

Any of the cars on his list would absolutely smoke an old big block Chysler (hemi included) or any other 60’s classic except for maybe the 427 Shelby Cobra S/C.

1 Like

With modern tires and a brave, brave driver!