Unresponsive Custmer Service


How does someone get a manufacturer back up a vehicle that needed repair based on an obviously defective product, when the warranty is up? The radiator fan on my 2005 Winnebago Rialta (built on a VW chassis and engine, 2.8 liter) flew apart and cut up the radiator. There were recalls for this part in this vehicle, but about 3 years before my vehicle year. It had less than 17,000 miles on it, but there’s a shorter warranty on the RV. I’ve talked to several people and written a detailed letter, but all I get is, "I’m very sorry, but . . . " How can I get VW to be accountable for this? I have filed a complaint with NHTSA but I am still waiting for a report about my complaint to come in the mail. And then, who knows how long it will take, or whether it will help?


If it’s out of warranty and there is no recall then you’re out of luck.
You’ve filed the complaint but that does not mean the NHTSA is going to make VW pay for this.

Eventually if enough complaints surface and they determine it’s a chronic problem a recall, mandatory or voluntary, may be issued. That could be years. And years.


Only thing you can do at this point is talk to a lawyer.


I suspect that in those three years the design of the defective fan was changed and that would make the history of failure basically meaningless. I doubt if you can get anything.