Unnecessary repair?

I have recently noticed a noise coming from my front passenger side wheel, and also a sound like squeaky springs when I go over a harsh speed bump. I took the car to the dealership, who told me I needed both rear struts replaced to the tune of $650. My car only has 57K miles, (it is 5 years old)and my most recent service, less than one month ago, gave the cars suspension a pass in the inspection report. I still have the noise from the front wheel. I now have the feeling I got ripped off.

I neglected to mention the car is a 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R.

Well, without any more info, you got ripped off!!

Did they explain how a noise you hear in the front passenger side was related to rear struts? If they can’t make a connection then no sale.

Well it is going to be difficult for us to tell if you needed the struts. Maybe yes maybe no. While I have not priced them out, it does seem you paid a lot for for a couple of struts. Did they give you the old stuts?

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

GREAT example of the wrong tech on the wrong job.

yesem you got takin.

squeaky struts ,never.

bushings maybe
spring seats maybe
sway bar end links maybe
lower ball joints maybe
struts…squeaking…NOPE!

good day !

I also don’t understand the business about a front end squeak and replacing the rear struts unless there’s something lost in the translation between the dealer and the vehicle owner.

Go out to the vehicle and push down hard on the right front fender a few times. If you hear a squeak the most obvious cause would be a sway bar bushing. This is not a safety factor and is more irritating than anything else. They’re also easily lubricated.

It seems everyone is in agreement that I got ripped off. You know I took my car to the shop because I was worried about the safety of my car. I would like to be able to trust someone, and not always be suspicious. I thought that the connection might be a lowering of the cars ride height causing problems up front. I was duped. Does anyone have any suggestions for a means to correct this situation other than contacting Nissan, and consumer protection?

Does the car still make the same noises?