Unnecessary car "honks" when using remote to unlock door

The bad guys know where you are before you know that they are around. Your girlfriend’s honk doesn’t aleft them to her presence, they already know. It could attract other people’s attention and reduce the likelihood that she or anyone else might be attacked.

I have been annoyed at honks when walking past a car that is parked and being right in front of of the car when the horn goes beep. Chirps are fine, but I think the horn is overkill.

No it does not. All I hear is a bunch of honking horns in the parking lot. Just annoying noise. Does not help anyone

It’s helped me several times.

Agreed. Hate it, especially late at night.

In our Letsuck RX350, I discovered a third car hornear the firewall.
I should try disconnecting it and see if that stops the night noise pollution.

Not really a “horn”, there is a dedicated device that emits a tone when locking/unlocking, this can be switched off.

If you want a silent approach to the vehicle just use the Smart Key system, you only need to grasp the door handle to unlock the vehicle, no RKE signal will be transmitted, no noise.

Why don’t you donate this inferior vehicle to a charity and buy a Hyundai?

3 Likes

That firewalhorn apparently is part of the burglar alarm system. If you cuthe moreasily-accessed wire to the car horns behind the grill, presumably the flrewalhorn will still sound.

(It is part of an emergency medical transport “charity”.)(Now home from a bloodelivery.)
Wife wants a Letsuck. Otherwise I would prefer a 4WD Toyota Highlander.

She say Letsuck AC cannot be turned off with switch. Must scroll to [Climate], click and go to [ Auto ] and click on it. If the cursonot centered on [ Auto ], nothing happens and it must be repositioned.

You are not all that amusing using that term for Lexus . Also that vehicle should have Automatic Temperature Control so all a person has to do is set the temperature they want and the system will do it’s thing. And you should have been here long enough to know that the AC will help keep the windows clear in cold conditions ( You are in Colorado after all ) .

Robert , if you read this you will notice I even managed to put a space between words.

3 Likes

Using the honk feature as your remote lock/unlock is the epitome of inconsideration and cluelessness. I live in a MCM multi unit building with parking directly below our units. Some dimwit neighbor uses that at all hours of day and night. Since they are under the building it echos loudly. It has waken me up in the middle of the night. It can be disabled or changed to a quieter chirp. I also recently was in the sidewalk seating of a breakfast place having a pleasant brunch with family when someone’s extremely loud honking lock feature was used right next to us. The driver was clueless. If someone has anxiety over knowing if they’ve locked their car how does that supersede the public existing without loud honking in their ears and noise pollution?

It doesn’t. IMO anyway. But my opinion doesn’t matter. It’s what the elected politicians think. And they apparently concur with the car owner’s right to honk their horn whenever the remote-key is pressed, 24/7.

I believe most vehicles made in the last 10 years or so have the ability to turn this horn feature off. owners just need to check their owner’s manual to find out how.
I can turn mine off through the settings in the info center. the problem is that most people do not read the manual or do not know or care that it might affect others.
but then again if the people affected by the horn noise don’t say anything to the vehicle owner, how will they know it is bothering someone.

Every modern vehicle with which I am familiar allows the owner to choose whether the horn should honk–or not–when the remote is used to lock or unlock the car. Some car owners have sufficient gray matter–and the common courtesy–to deactivate the honking. Others are too clueless to be able to figure out a two-step process for deactivation.

Can you show me concrete proof of any statutes that support the “right” that you claim?

1 Like

Mine only honks if a door is ajar when you use the remote or the lock button inside the vehicle.

1 Like

I can’t show you any statutes that provide the right to honk your horn whenever the horn button on the steering wheel is pressed.

Then obviously, there wouldn’t be any statutes permitting the “right” to honk the horn whenever the remote is pressed, and yet you seem to think that these statutes exist?

Perhaps technically correct, but I wouldn’t put it like that. Some “rights” come just by the lack of any codified restriction to the contrary. For example there’s no statute giving me the right to drink a glass of water while standing in front of my kitchen sink, but I can still do it without restriction. What I was trying to say is since there’s no gov’t imposed code-restriction on the manufacture of key-remotes that cause horn honks, the elected officials are passively allowing it.

Normally laws tell you what you can’t do. At any rate the state patrol says you can’t use your horn except as a warning. I still do in the parking lot anyway.

Reminds me of the Laurel and hardy show where hardy worked in a horn plant until he went nuts at the sound of a horn. You can just google it for fun.

What somebody does in his/her own home, and which doesn’t affect anyone outside of that home, is very different from an action that takes place in public, in the presence of people who might object to, or be endangered by that action. If you’re trying to support your contention about a certain “right”, your example is a very poor one.
:thinking:

Let’s face it, there will always be people who are offended at something or other. We are into the spring grass wars here. One group wants the grass cut so the don’t have to look at overgrown grass. I think there is a limit of 8 inches before you can be tagged and fined. Another verbal group concerned with bee and butterfly habitat has established their theme as no mow may where they want the grass to go uncut. Then those that want lawns turned into prairie grass like in 1850. Just can’t satisfy everyone but heaven help us if they get a one vote margin like in Minnesota so lawn mowers will be outlawed.

At any rate tall grass promotes rodents and snakes so I will continue to cut my grass. I won’t do it in early morning or late evening though in deference to those with sensory issues. Yeah the senior center is working on making the place sensory positive so no loud noises or disruptions. Who knew you could get a degree in that?

I keep my grass fairly short, but I still get snakes in my yard. I’m not complaining, because I’m not afraid of snakes, but these local reptiles don’t seem to be too choosy about the length of the grass.