Unmistakably Cadillac

Somewhat. The body is all silver. Maybe from paint loss. But it has that “lawnmower engine, it’s too big for a chainsaw” look. I’ve got the carb soaking tonight.

Would you grab that handle on the bar end when the 2 stroke engine was revved up and spinning? I’m gonna pass! May be one of the reasons that OSHA was invented.

2 Likes

One Manly Man could handle it. :wink:

1 Like

I’m a girly man, I suppose, Hans. I’ve used chainsaws quite a bit, and to be completely honest, I’m still a little scared of the “normal” ones of today. Have only had one kick back once (and I was expecting it due to the way the tree was bent from storm damage), but I always keep a death grip on the handles to the point that I feel like Popeye after 30 minutes of cutting :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

3 Likes

+1
Even though it wasn’t a 300 F, I still have fond memories of my uncle’s 1960 New Yorker convertible.
He was a nice guy, but he was also somewhat of a showoff, so when he was visiting us and wanted a pack of cigarettes, he tossed the New Yorker’s keys to my newly-licensed 17 year old brother, and told him to use the car to get a pack of his favorite smokes. This, despite the fact that there was a shop 1/2 block from our house where the cigs could have been bought.

I hopped into the New Yorker with my brother, and for the next hour or so, we cruised up and down the main drag in our town, showing off “our” new convertible–which was white with a red leather interior. And, my brother kept it in 2nd gear the entire time, so that the engine was just a bit louder.

When we finally returned, Mom “reamed us a new one” for taking my uncle’s car for so long, and even though he tried to hide it, uncle clearly breathed a sigh of relief when we walked in the door.

Anyway… that was a truly beautiful car.

2 Likes

Yup!
It wasn’t highly publicized at the time, but the FBI bought a bunch of them.

1 Like

I put a functional hood scoop on my 62 Sport Fury, even the single Carter made a lot of noise, drowned out my Walker glass packs.

I preferred the New Yorker appearance-wise over the 300.
Liked the 60-61 wagons too.
Face it, I like fins!

1 Like

Remember the instrument panel? The “AstroDome” which looked like something from the Jetson’s.

Absolutely!
The first time that I rode in his car at night, I thought that the instrument panel was the most magnificent one that I had ever seen on an American-made car.

You mean you’re not 7’4” and 400 lbs? And you can call me Frans. :smile:

1 Like

Being “a little scared” is the smart thing to be. It’s called self-preservation, at least preservation of all ten fingers, two arms, etc…

3 Likes

The night in 1959 that my Uncle Bennie brought home his '60 New Yorker remains, after over 50 years, one of the most memorable of my life. I can still hear him explaining to me how the electro-luminescent gauges worked, that they were made by Sylvania, and powered by a high voltage AC inverter under the dash. I had to be the only 18 year old kid in Brooklyn who knew this stuff! The looks of that car were sensational. The boomerang taillights, The big chrome bumper extensions, the magnificent 413 cubic inch engine.

2 Likes

Purebred, if you like fins, you’ll enjoy this.

1 Like

I had four fin cars, my first car a 1960 Dodge Dart, rear ended so the insurance pay-off went to one of my all time favorites a 1959 Pontiac Catalina bubble top which had four fins. A 57 Silver Hawk that I foolishly sold to get a 58 Golden Hawk hardtop that was missing the supercharger , neither of which I could afford to restore though the Silver Hawk would have been the better candidate.

The thing I liked best about the hawks was the engine turned dash.

1 Like