U joint or driveshaft yoke?

vehicle is a 2004 chevy tahoe 2WD. tranny fluid sometimes leaks from slip yoke. had the output shaft seal replaced and it still leaks.pink fluid drips from the yoke/ujoint area anyway not even from the seal.car shakes at 60-70 and little humming from back of car. ive had a u joint go bad before and this is different, noise is different and doesnt violently shake my car like the u joint did, instead it just shakes it slightly. this is also a new driveshaft/ujoint i have installed right now, we didnt change the yoke so i guess that gives me my answer but im just wondering what yall think…

1 Like

My guess, the entire driveshaft ass’y needs to be re-balanced. The leak may go away once that is done. Visit a shop that specializes in driveshafts.

Did you have the new shaft and U joint balanced before installing? With a new U joint the yoke should be OK.

Maybe the tail housing bushing in the transmission is worn out. That would allow the yoke to flop around, cause vibrations, and leak even with a new seal.

6 Likes

Let me second @ok4450’s diagnosis. That sounds like the problem to me, too. It would explain both the leak and the vibration.

1 Like

How big a job is replacing the bushing?

An aggravation if yout don’t have the bushing removal tool. Lacking the tool it’s best to remove the tail housing which is going to mean fluid loss.
That bushing tool is a bit pricey but there may be some cheaper alternative tools out there.

Here’s what it involves and the tool.

An aggravation if yout don’t have the bushing removal tool. Lacking the tool it’s best to remove the tail housing which is going to mean fluid loss.
That bushing tool is a bit pricey but there may be some cheaper alternative tools

If the OP does not have the tool wouldn’t it be better and cheaper to have a shop do it how may years if ever un till the bushing would wear out again/

1 Like

Yes, just have a shop do it. I think the tool in the video is about 160 dollars with some at 250. Ouch. Worth it for a trans shop; not so much for a DIYer.

There is the tail housing removal method if the OP wanted to go that route. Then it would be a matter of making or buying some press sleeves to take the bushing in and out. Not worth the hassle IMO.

Such is the mechanic life and perpetual tool buying.

4 Likes

14 posts were split to a new topic: 2013 Tahoe with vibration between 50-55 mph