Turning off the Prius backup beeping sound

Does anyone know how to turn off the backup beeping sound on the Prius. Everytime I back up, I feel as if I’m driving a bulldozer. Clicking the beeping off option does no good. The dealer said it can’t be turned off.

Thanks

Gee, considering as you’re driving a car with a pretty big rear blind spot that is completely silent, I’d say keeping the beeping on is probably a good idea.

Although I’m curious why there’s a “beeping off” option if it doesn’t do anything.

The beeping is only inside the car, so it won’t help the innocent bystanders. We have a Prius in our work fleet, and the only reason I like the beeping is because it’s an alert if you accidentally put the car in reverse instead of drive. I know I’ve done that in my regular car once or twice, and it’s even easier to do in a Prius with that little gear shifter.

That said, if you want it off, here are instructions: http://fuelzilla.com/backup-beeping-on-prius/ . If they don’t work, then it sounds like something to talk to the dealer about.

Your dealer is either lying, doesn’t want to bother with it, or doesn’t know how.

We have a 2008 Prius. Here is how to get rid of the backup beeper (it should be outside, not inside):
Disabling Reverse Beep
? Press and hold the brake pedal.
? Power on the car, Cycle ODO/TRIP, stopping on ODO, Power off the car.
? Power on, within 6 seconds, hold ODO for at least 10 seconds.
? While still holding ODO shift into Reverse and back into Park.
? b-on shows on odometer display, press ODO to cycle to “b-off”. Done.
(This also works for the seatbelt beep, replace shifting with buckling/un-buckling)

I suspect the dealer does not want to get involved in a lawsuit. The same could happen to an owner who defeated the device.

beeper (it should be outside, not inside):
Disabling Reverse Beep
? Press and hold the brake pedal.
? Power on the car, Cycle ODO/TRIP, stopping on ODO, Power off the car.
? Power on, within 6 seconds, hold ODO for at least 10 seconds.
? While still holding ODO shift into Reverse and back into Park.
? b-on shows on odometer display, press ODO to cycle to “b-off”. Done.
(This also works for the seatbelt beep, replace shifting with buckling/un-buckling)