Turn signals AND hazards stopped working

I drive a 98 Ford Contour Sport. When I was driving today, I signalled a left turn, and the signal began working erratically. This also happened with a right turn, and, since I deliver sandwiches, happened when I turned my hazards on. Throughout the day it got worse, and eventually stopped working. I’m willing to bet that it’s a wiring issue since all of my fuses are fine, but I wanted to ask here just to see if anyone had had this problem too.

More than likely the problem is in the turn signal/multifunction switch in the steering column. Both the turn signals and the hazard light circuits run thru this switch.

Tester

Thank you for your help and quick reply! Sites I’ve been checking and researching the multifunction switch also recommend spraying WD-40 or electric contact lubricant into the signal and hazards when you open up the column. Would you be able to shed any light on that too by any chance?

Since both functions are dying at the same time, I would suggest the flasher unit as the culprit. These relays are cheap and easy to replace. You might decide to take a chance and put in a new unit before declaring the multifunction switch to be misbehaving.

Power to both of those areas passes through the turn signal relay so verify power is getting through it ok. You need a test light probe to check with.

I’ve been checking and researching the multifunction switch also recommend spraying WD-40 or electric contact lubricant

Please don't use that WD-40.  That stuff is a[b] W[/b]ater[b] D[/b]isplacement. It is not a contact cleaner or lubricant.  

Stop by your local Radio Shack and buy a can of contact cleaner and a contact lubricant.  They sell nice small spay containers of the stuff.  

WD-40 will attract dust, and as it dries it will form a sticky goo which is hard to clean off later.