Turbo injections

Would not replacing the turbo injector affect the engine of my car??

Service Agent at car dealership stated if not replaced, it would bring “metal shavings” in to the engine (!!!)

Cost of replacement is $2,000. I can live with out a turbo injector, but I can not live without my VolksWagen !

I would appreciate your opinion, thank you

I LOVE for your show !!!

Turbo injector? Is that next to the hydrocilator and flux capacitor?

I have no idea what a ‘turbo injector’ is. Do you mean a fuel injector? Or a turbo charger?

If an injector, there’s no way in hell (or anywhere for that matter) that it will cost $2000 to replace. Same goes for the turbo charger.

In any case, more info would be nice, like what car you have, type of fuel used (gas or diesel), problems you’ve been having and why you, or the dealer, suspects the ‘turbo injector’ needs replacing.

It sounds like your turbo(charger) has failed. Your entire engine is designed to run with it so replacement is necessary. And yes metal shavings can be introduced into the oil stream or into the intake and demolish the internals of your engine if it flies apart(it must getting there).

I would suggest trying an independent (VW specialized best) garage for a diagnosis of the “failed” turbo charger or something and go from there for a warranted 2nd opinion.

I am guessing you have the 1.8T engine (emblem on car)?

Andrew, thank you so much (this makes sense)
My car is an adorable 2000yr. VolksWagen Golf, turbo diesel, 4 cilinder, and yes, it is the charger that failed so it now runs like a standard 4 cilinder vehicle without the kick of the turbo charger. This wonder car has 135,000 miles, drives smooth as silk and gives me great fuel efficiency (35-40 miles a gal. of diesel in highways that is why I would like to keep it). Is there is a history of these chargers failing? I am used to know them running for more than 10 years. Thanks a mill !!

Ok, since it’s a turbo diesel, I’d say it’s the turbo that has gone. It happens especially with higher mileage. A lot depends on if you let the turbo wind down before you shut off the engine (and therefore the flow of oil) before the turbo can wind down. Meaning, do you let it idle 30+ seconds before shutting off? If it is the turbo and not and injector, I’d replace it. The turbo makes a big difference in the performance of the engine. A failed turbo can choke the breathing of the engine if it locks up. If it produces debris in the intake side, that debris can get sucked in and cause further damage.

My last vehicle was a diesel pickup with 160,000 miles on it. Ran like a champ. But I took care of it with good oil, idling to let the turbo wind down, etc. I know some will argue that you don’t need to let the turbo wind down, but I feel inclined to do so since it doesn’t take much time and I like having oil running to the turbo bearings while it’s still spinning.