Trying to buy a truck and need good advice

Here’s my dilemma. I am looking at purchasing a 1997 Chevrolet 1500 Truck with 124,000 miles for $7500. Or a 2003 Nissan Frontier 5 speed 4 cyclinder with 157,000 for $7400. I like the chevy but the v-8 and gas seems like it will be a bit much for my driving. The four cyclinder nissan has a 157,000 miles on it and that is my biggest concern. Please help me make an informed decision.

It’s really hard to. Both are good trucks. All things being equal, the Nissan will probably outlast the Chevy, but we can’t know if all things are equal. If the Chevy owner pampered his truck while the Nissan owner beat the hell out of it, then the Chevy would be the better choice. Your best bet is to take them both to a good mechanic for a pre-sale inspection.

These are 97’s going for such a price? this really makes me wonder as my 2004 F-150 won’t bring that.

It’s impossible to guess without looking at them both, but if they’ve been comparably treated you can expect problems on the '97 that you should not have on the '03. Things like seals and gaskets shink, dry, and get worn over the years.

Before putting money on either I’d have it checked out thoroughly. And, frankly, there’s no way I’d pay that much for a '97 pickup unless there was something really really special about it.

I cannot begin to fathom how a 97 Chevy anything(except maybe the Vette) would command a $7500 price tag. Edmunds shows between $3k and $5k for the 1500 truck depending on drivetrain and trim level. I could see a $2500 asking price, but not $7500. The Tacoma is about on par with what edmunds shows for a single cab 4cyl stick.

You are comparing apples and oranges here. Do you need a larger truck, or will a smaller one do?

Why not find a good 1997 Chevy 1500 at half the price? Then you won;t have a dilemma.