Trucks pay off--big time--for Ford

Can’t you look under the lifted pickup and see traffic?

They were pretty good in mpg actually. Mid 20s I think. They were sold as trucks because every U van they sold meant they could sell another 454 Suburban getting 11 mpg… highway. I had one, that was the best they’d do.

Trucks and cars had different CAFE standards and the trucks had trouble meeting them so they played some games.

2 Likes

Do many of them have truck nutz . . . ?!

:laughing:

Had I registered our 2003 Silhouette as a car, I would have paid the guzzler tax. It was close, but still under the limit.

My height is 5’4". Many gigundatrucks have front hoods almost that high. Many have the bottom of the front bumper at or above the top of my Camry’s hood. Next up, those vehicle owners will want a civilian version of an MRAP. :roll_eyes:

Actually, sometimes I can. It’s insane.

I saw some dude in an Aveo with truck nutz the other day… Like, really?

You joke, but it can be done. It’s legal to buy surplus MRAPs. Some of the “prepper” guys buy them as “bug out” vehicles.

1 Like

Oshkosh by gosh? Names that always stick with you like Keokuk, IA.

Used to wear them in elementary school :smiley:

There’s a car repair shop near me that restores military vehicles and sells them. They often have a deuce and a half sitting out front for sale, and now have a military HUMMER.

1 Like

I kept threatening to get one of those when we were shopping for an upgrade to our pickup. My wife was less than enthusiastic about the idea. :wink:

4 Likes

About as practical as the Unimog that I used to see here in town.

1 Like

You can carry a spare car in the back!

1 Like

Is there much of a market for that? Those things aren’t cheap.

I don’t know, but I’ve seen a few around town. One is at a BBQ restaurant as an advertisement, and I saw one parked in a different commercial parking lot, not the same truck. Those in addition to a few in front of the repair shop. I checked asking prices on line. All are under $30,000 and most under 15 grand. Military collectors could certainly be interested, and there are a lot of them.

What baffled me was her lack of enthusiasm when I pointed that out.

I know a guy who bought one. He has a bunch of property out in the middle of nowhere. He likes to bring his family up there for a month or so to live in the woods and be rustic. He used the truck to haul logs for the cabin he built far from the nearest road, and now he uses it to haul all the firewood he needs in one trip.

1 Like

I know several Military Collectors…but they collect patches or medals…The truck obviously isn’t for everyone. But I do understand it’s appeal.

Does a driver training video come with it? Fifty years ago I could drive one but today I would need a day free in a 4 acre parking lot to relearn all the peculiarities of that contraption.

I never liked riding in the back of one. Kinda rough ride and seemed like it was going to tip over all the time. A car in the back would be fine though.