Truck Tires

Hello, I have a 2008 F-250 that came with Continental Contitrac tires on it. I recently moved to Northern Michigan and these tires are terrible. Does anyone have a suggestion for better tires for my truck?

A lot of tires that require high pressure are bad on snow and ice. You have to go slower sometimes and you have to have weight in the bed. You gave almost no information, so you left yourself wide open for any kind of suggestion. Weight or no weight? Have you driven trucks in snow before? You might try for tires that have the mountains embossed on the sidewall. M&S won’t always cut it. Don’t buy the Wrangler tires from Sam’s Club. They aren’t good in snow.

Sorry about the lackof info. I have had trucks for the last 12 years or so and have always lived around snow so I am very used to driving in it. I have never used weight in the bed and have never had a probelm. These tires (the Continentals) seem more like car tires and do not handle any slippey weather. I have a decent hill coming out of my drive and I have had trouble getting up it even in 4wd. My last F-150 had no problems what so ever but I cannot remember the tire.

I also forgot to mention the majority of my driving is local. I travel to the airport and back once a week which is about 50 miles away, other than that only occasional trips down state. I also pull a fifth wheel with the truck if that makes a difference.

Being a truck tire means only that it has a higher load rating requiring higher pressures as noted. A highway truck tire may be dismal off road. Extra rims with winters would be better. Make sure they are load rated same as OEM for any HD truck.

I’ve had good luck with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos and Goodyear Wrangler MT/R’s. BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO’s are pretty popular as well.

Thanks

I’ll second the BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO. I put a set of their predecessor on an older K2500 and they were fantastic. I could plow in 2WD using those tires. The guy I sold the truck loved them as well and still talks about how great they performed.

Check out Tirerack.com, they’ll be able to help you find the right tire for your truck.

Yes, it does sound like the tires are just bad. Try them at the lowest recommended pressure on the sidewall unless the truck has a lower pressure.