Troubleshooting 1977 Datsun 280Z

I have a 1977 Datsun 280, and when you ease in to first gear it wants to bog down like its flooding or starving for gas…is this a Throttle vale switch problem or an injector problem. Am I even in the right ball park?

I was surprised to discover that the '77 280Z is, indeed, fuel injected. I would have bet against it.

I have no intimate knowledge of this car, or its fuel injection system, and I’m not even going to guess where the problem may lie.

When you own an older car like this, one of the first things you should invest in is a service manual. I recommend a factory manual, which is much more comprehensive than something like Haynes.

Not that there’s anything wrong with Haynes manuals, but the factory books are unbeatable if you really want to know what’s what.

A good service manual will have step-by-step instructions for diagnosing and repairing anything on the car. If you don’t have such a manual, I highly recommend you find and buy one.

Used manuals are often available at http://www.books4cars.com

In addition to McP’s good advice, with an old and unusual car like this it’s a good idea to look for a forum specific to your car,you’ll have a lot better chance of finding someone with your specific knowledge needs.

I would add that you need to find out what type of fuel injection is used on your car and by one way or another learn everything about the theory of operation.

Service manuals are sometimes short on theory of operation,they assume you know already.

You need to learn about what type fuel pump is used,where all the F.I related relays are,learn where pressure measurements are taken,learn where is the filter,is it a system that uses a return technique?

You need to do the same thing for the ignition system.

Or is all this learning what you came here for?

I agree with oldschool. If you’re going to keep this car, you need to become an expert on all of its systems, because there aren’t very many experts left. You’re going to have to become your own expert. Research and learn. Very few mechanics can help you. You’re pretty much on your own.

Good luck.

Lots of good advice here.

You may even find this injection system was vacuum operated, and that’ll raise a whole 'nother set of interesting principles to learn.

yeah, you’ll need a good forum of old Datsun owners, some good manuals and literature, and an enquiring mind.

Sincere best.

Thanks for all of the great advice…Im looking for a 280z fourm, any one know of one?

thanks again
SGM Richardson
U.S. Army

Google ‘Datsun Z forums’ - several pop up.