Trouble shooting v6 mustang

So I’ve been saying my 2016 v6 mustang transmission is going out I don’t want to believe it because it only has 50000 miles on it but win I would drive it hard a push around the 90-100 mph mark I’d smell a burning in my cabin very slight but distinct smell. So I stopped pushing it hard and started driving casually. Well the other night I was going 30mph and on my dash popped up that my transmission was not in park and my whole car stalled in the middle of the road. I restarted it and it started right back up and ran fine. What could this be? Easy fix or get rid of it?

A transmission with 50,000 hard miles on it is probably ready for a complete rebuild, hard and soft parts.

I notice you didn’t even say which transmission you have in the car but you did use the term “park.”
From that I’ll assume it is the automatic and not the manual.

Ford’s 6R80 automatic transmission is a very durable product. I have one in my car behind the V8. My older car sees track days about 6 times a year, pushing 1 1/2 times more power than your V6, touching 135 mph every lap. No problems.

That said, don’t assume the worst if no one has ever even taken a look at the reason for the stall. The powertrain warranty is 5 years and 60K miles. You may still be covered. Expect about $150 for a diagnostic fee but the rest should be covered.

I’ve only put 25k on it myself

Problem is there are no codes

The first 25000 could have been the problem cause that is now showing up . I hope this 100 MPH driving was not on public roads .

Of course not😏

A chick owned before me doubt she drove it hard. She was a older lady.

Could have been The Little Old Lady From Pasadena

1 Like

That doesn’t mean the problem can’t be diagnosed. It also doesn’t mean the car can’t be fixed. It also doesn’t mean it isn’t covered by warranty.

Ask your shop to check the battery and alternator function. If you have a volt meter you could try this yourself: before the first start of the day the battery should measure about 12.6 volts. Immediately after starting the engine it should measure 13.5-15.5 volts.

It could be a simple problem like the torque converter isn’t unlocking. When you get the speed up, the exhaust manifolds are bright red and that may be the cause of the burning smell.