Trouble filling gas tank

I own a 2001 Ford Taurus. I cannot set the nozzle to fill the gas tank without it constantly shutting off. I have to squeeze the handle slowly and only partially to fill the tank and even then it will often shut off. Is the problem with the car? Is it something I can fix? This is very frustrating!

I have the same problem… maybe we just suck at pumping gas… =/

In the filler neck of modern cars is a “check valve” or “anti roll-over valve”. It is basically a plastic or cork ball in a cage that is designed to block off the filler pipe if the tank is overfilled or the car is upside down. Actually it prevents overfilling by floating up and blocking the filler pipe. You then can not put any more gas in…

But SOMETIMES this ball can STICK in the closed position, it won’t drop back down and open the filler pipe…You can remove the filler pipe and remove the check ball, or you can stick something stiff but flexible down the filler neck and try to dislodge the stuck check valve… I small drain snake works GREAT! This device also prevents siphoning gas out with a hose because it’s VERY difficult to work a hose past the valve…

I hopes this helps you…

Caddyman is correct, but there is another possibility.  Have you been in the habit of topping off the tank after the fuel shuts off (when it is nearly full)?  If so you may have created the problem.  Most cars today have warning stickers or a warning in the owner's manual warning you not to do this.  It damages the pollution control system and prevents proper venting causing exactly what you are seeing.  The only fix is to replace the charcoal canister.

When the gas cap is off, the tank vents out the filler pipe, not the canister. It takes considerable pressure in the tank before the tank vents into the canister. Overfilling CAN cause the cork check ball to swell up and stick in the closed position however. Especially if you overfill it and then park the car, allowing the check ball to remain submerged in fuel for an extended period…