Trickle charger settings

Thanks for any help.

89 - 98 0lds has sat idle 6mo

I have a Dayton charger 2z198d

which setting 6v10a 12v2a 12v10a

Use the 12 volt 2 amp charge rate. This will take a while for the battery to recharge, if it even will, and put a full charge into the battery. Charging at a faster amp rating only puts a surface charge on the battery. Which results in short battery charge life.

Tester

Thanks I will do that.

May I ask another question?

Since the car has been idle should I worry about the gasoline? Would an additive be appropriate? If so which one or which kind? Should I put in new gas?

It wouldn’t hurt to dump a can of Sea Foam in the gas tank to remove any moisture or gum and varnish and then fill the tank.

Tester

Six months is usually not long enough to cause a gas problem, but if it was near empty or if you just are un-lucky it might be a good idea to add some fresh gas. Also Tester’s suggestion for SeaFoam is not bad. It is too late to use a gas stabilizer.

You can start off with the 12v-10a rate and after an hour or two drop to the 2 amp rate. I suspect the charger will do this automatically as the battery charges. Check all the fluids and tire pressure while you are waiting…