Charging car battery, procedure for

Can I get a second set of eyes on a checklist for charging my car battery. (2011 Toyota Venza, if it matters.)

1. Ensure battery charger (ATEC 10A BC 91090, whose user manual I couldn’t find online) is unplugged.

2. Connect positive (red) cable of charger to positive terminal of battery.

3. Connect negative (black) cable of charger to metallic frame of vehicle. Note: NOT to negative terminal of battery, as sparking might ignite hydrogen gas leaving battery.

4. Plug in/power on battery charger.

5. Leave charger connected until meter on charger shows battery charged, ie, needle flickers at low end of scale.

6. Remove negative cable from car.

7. Remove positive cable from car battery.

Done.

Q: Should refill caps be removed to let gases escape?

Q: Is it necessary to NOT connect charger’s negative cable to battery’s negative terminal?

My Walmart battery is 11 months old but failed a test at the dealer yesterday (“free 30 point inspection” to find expensive problems). Car has had no trouble starting but temps are high in central Texas. At home, hooked up the battery charger, left it on for about 20 minutes, needle not yet in low on meter. Next day, went to Walmart, where the battery had been bought, and their check showed the battery wasn’t fully charged but was within spec.

Am lucky to live near supermarkets, library, medical clinics, etc, so yearly driving is always less than 3000 miles mostly made by countless trips of two miles or less. Not suspecting the charging system; just not enough long drives.

I can see the battery needing occasional boosts from the charger, and want to follow a checklist so I don’t forget anything.

Thanks.

Going to get about the same answers as you got in July 2023 when you asked this same question.

Sounds like mostly good. I do not mess with checking fluid levels. Yes it may be not enough charge time on short trips. Try longer drives, though I do prefer a battery maintainer to prevent overcharging and frying the battery.

Might be unnecessarily cautious, but unplug the charger before removing the clamps from the battery terminals.

4 Likes

If the battery has removable caps , they should be removed to check the electrolyte level in each cell before charging.

Tester

2 Likes

No, you’re absolutely right. Need to do that. Thanks.

You may have increased the charge level by 5% after 20 minutes, that is not enough time for a 10 amp battery charger to make much difference. 20 minutes is no different than a trip to a nearby store: 10 minutes of operation each way.

Maintaining a 100% charge all the time is unnecessary, recharge the battery for 4 hours every 3 to 4 months.

1 Like

Same situation, different question. This time I’m asking for a review of my checklist. Last time was on the purchase of the battery installed now.

Boy, but you sure have a good memory. I don’t remember what I read yesterday much less last year.

That sounds good to me. Thanks.

Personally I just use the negative battery terminal and not had a problem. Also over night or 24 hours is usually what I do but use a lower amp setting.

1 Like

…and you can test the specific gravity of the fluid in each cell. That tells you the state of charge in each cell, and if any cells are failing to take a charge.

Removable caps are a desirable feature. This is one reason.

1 Like

My very old charger doesn’t have a single switch. Not even an on/off one. No controls, just “Automatic.” After the charger has been connected a few hours, its meter needle is down near 1 or 2 and vibrating. Wish I could find an owner’s manual online to see what’s normal.

Might be time to upgrade to a smart charger. I love mine. Just a thought…

2 Likes

Would it not be simpler to just take a long way home once a week . I have a nice drive the grocery store that wanders through a tree lined road and past 2 lakes . I even think it helps with my mental health .

3 Likes

Ha, it’s past time. But my charger was bought about three decades ago. If it lasts one more decade, it’ll probably outlive me. I’m in the divestment part of life, not the acquisition part.

1 Like

Do they make t hem anymore. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen one with removable caps.

I’d go for the ‘take a long drive’ approach, do that several times, then get the battery and charging system tested.

One of the better, very brief, article on caring for flooded cell lead acid batteries I have run across in the past-

What Happens to 12V Lead Acid Batteries that are Not Properly Maintained | Midtronics.

Partial discharge state for prolonged periods is hard on flooded cell lead acid batteries.

1 Like

Not common, but yes, some batteries still have removable caps.

1 Like

The OP mentioned he purchased the battery at Walmart. Most of their EverStart brand batteries for a 2011 Venza have caps.