Transmission Rebuild Leaking Fluid

My local AAMCO mechanic told me that the Town and Country transmission they had just rebuilt would leak a little until the seals swelled up. I’m guessing that was a total lie?

Believing that tall tale would be your second mistake.
Your first mistake was going to AAMCO!

That chain has a well-earned reputation for…
Claiming that total rebuilding is necessary when cheaper repairs would suffice…
Really bad workmanship…
Extremely high prices…
Warranties with weasel clauses that allow them to avoid liability.

The next time that you need transmission repairs, avoid ALL chain-run operations (Lee Myles, Cottman, Mr. Transmission, and–obviously–AAMCO). Ask friends, neighbors, relatives, and co-workers for recommended independent transmission shops in your area.

2 Likes

AAMCO is an acronym for All Automatics Must Come Out!

Heh heh heh. I had my car towed to AAMCO once because the towing was free and it got me closer to home. Boy were they ticked when I called for the tow from the Olds dealer to come get me. 30 miles better than 50 miles tow charge but I had to sit outside waiting for the tow truck to come. Freaks can’t take a joke.

2 Likes

The bit about seals swelling up is absolutely ludicrous.

Many years ago I knew a guy who ran a very small transmission operation. It was in an outlying area and only 2 people worked there.

The guy I knew was a barbituate user and actually did the R & R of the transmissions. The guy who worked for him was an amphetamine freak.
So the downer guy had transmissions stacked up right and left ready for the installations and the speed freak was rebuilding them at a 100 MPH pace. Can’t say that I’d trust either one of them to do any part of the job although I have to admit they both knew their stuff with automatics.

I shared an apartment in Westminster, CA with the downer guy and it was funny to watch the speed freak come over and repeatedly dump out toothpicks and count them while carrying on a rapid conversation and drinking beer. As for the obvious question; I did not use uppers, downers, or participate in shaky transmission fixes. Odds are both are long dead by now of non-natural causes.