Transmission leak

I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey with 148,000 miles on it. I bought it used from a private seller 48,000 miles ago. The transmission is leaking and has been for a few months. I had it drained and serviced in Nevada while on a long trip and the mechanic there told me this was typical of this car - a leak develops between two parts of the transmission - this mechanic said the transmission has no gasket between these parts. My local mechanic just checked it again and agrees - he thinks a gasket or sealer needs to be replaced but he cannot do the work. I was referred to Aamco or another area mechanic that does transmission work. I am really uncertain what to do. I looked on the Internet and the Honda Odyssey, old and new, does seem to have this problem. I do not want to replace the transmission and would be willing to just keep adding fluid. I like the car and I need the size to transport a large family; I am the only driver. It has no other problems at this time, although there have been warnings about the catalytic converter. I am really looking for more advice and other people’s experience.

If you don’t want to have to replace or rebuild the transmission, then DON’T take it to AAMCO, or to Lee Myles, Cottman, Mr. Transmission, or any other chain operation. Those shops are reknowned for telling almost everyone that the transmission needs very expensive repairs–even when less expensive solutions exist.

Additionally, the quality of workmanship at those places tends to be poor, and their prices tend to be high. Some folks have been lulled into a false sense of security by their “Nationwide Warranty”, only to find out that some obscure technicality precludes subsequent repairs from being included in that warranty coverage.

Seek an independent trans shop that has been in business for at least 3 years. Hopefully you can get referrals from friends, co-workers, relatives and neighbors.

Incidentally, the reputation of the transmissions on Odysseys of that era is true. The two most common complaints on these vehicles are failing transmissions and broken motor mounts. Overall, they are good vehicles, albeit with those two Achilles’ Heels.

Thanks. That helps a lot. I am inclined to keep adding fluid as needed until the situation becomes much more serious. Do you see a problem with that? This is the first car I’ve had that had this kind of problem so I lack experience with it.