Transmission Problems

Hi there,

I have a 1997 Grand Caravan 6 cyl ?Sport? edition with 80K miles.

It has two problems (yes only two), both are with the transmission:

1. The transmission has a ?small? leak which started about 2 years ago. It takes about 24fl ounces of transmission fluid (Lucas Transmission Fix ? one bottle) every 8 to 10 weeks, depending on outside temperature.

2. The car need to ?warm up? in the morning between 8 minutes (during moderate to warm weather) and 15 minutes (during cold weather ? below 40F) for the transmission to operate properly. Without the warm-up period the transmission will slip or not engage into any gear until the car is warmed up. After the initial warm-up the transmission with operate very well without slippage all day without any problems.

So, what do you think? If I have the transmission serviced ? what type of service does the transmission need and at approximately at what cost? Any recommendations on where to get the work done? I live in the Brooklyn NY Area

Thanks

Have the leak fixed.
Get the filter changed.
Do a complete fluid exchange to get rid of all the Lucas stuff.

That might take care of it, but you probably will have to do some deeper transmission repair.

My thoughts exactly - especially on getting that Lucas stuff out of there. The only thing that should go into this tranny is ATF +4 (though ATF+3 is acceptable since I think that’s what was out when the van was made).

I would find the best local (i.e. non-corporate chain) transmission specialty shop. Have them evaluate the leak, scan it for codes and give you a general verdict. Then you can decide whether or not to bother with the fluid service.

Don’t be surprised if no one wants to touch it - in fear that it is already on its last legs and they will get blamed when it does eventually go altogether.

How handy are you with car work/tools?

Join the club. I have a JATCO Ford trans in my wifes Jaguar that costs 7000 bucks and I may have to replace it. Once a trans starts slipping the damage is already done in most cases. You can’t keep dumping the lucus in it forever and stop the slipping. It burns out solinoids and does …damage, everytime it slips. Sometimes a flush and new fluid makes it slip worse because it’s worn out. The cluch’s burn out and you either have a rebuild or replacement on your hands, like I’m facing.
I would find a good independant trans shop that has a good rating in your area,maybe there is hope that it could be fixed reasonably.

It’s spelled “solenoids.”

By all means, STOP PUTTING THAT LUCAS JUNK IN YOUR TRANS!!! Its killing your trans even more, especially the solenoid pack. Listening to your symptoms its obvious you need an overhaul. I’m not familiar with anyone in your area, just stay away from those large chain type shops.

transman

The problem is that I don?t know of any reputable transmission shop in my area. I live in Brooklyn NY - Sheapsheadbay area - and there are hundreds (could be thousands) of shops to pick from and nobody likes anyone. Any professional recommendations on places and pricing would be appreciated.
Thanks

The problem is that I don?t know of any reputable transmission shop in my area. I live in Brooklyn NY - Sheapsheadbay area - and there are hundreds (could be thousands) of shops to pick from and nobody likes anyone. Any professional recommendations on places and pricing would be appreciated.
Thanks

Thanks