Transmission Problem

I have a 98 Honda Accord V6 with about 184k miles. I bought it in 2006 with abt 160k miles. The car has always had transmission issues; it jerks between 10 - 15mph, but rides smoothly afterwards.

Yesterday, the car began jerking suddenly at abt 60 mph while on the highway. The car had to be put into first gear so it didn’t jerk. Also, when put in reverse the car rolls forward as if it is in neutral.

Sounds like I need a new tranny. Is it worth it? Rebuild or whole new trans?

Thanks.

“The car had to be put into first gear so it didn’t jerk”

I really hope that you were not driving at 60 mph when you downshifted to 1st gear.
Probably you had already slowed down, but the way that you expressed this information is unclear.

Anyway–it does sound possible, but not definite, that the car needs a rebuilt transmission. If the transmission was not serviced properly (every 3 yrs/30k miles) by the previous owner(s) and by you, then by 184k the trans is likely to be at the end of its life. However, you need to get an honest assessment by someone who can actually examine the car.

Take the car to an independent trans shop that has been in business for at least 3 years.
DO NOT go to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, Mr. Transmission, or any other chain operation unless you want to be sold a new transmission–whether you need one or not. An indy shop is likely to be more honest, cheaper, and better with its workmanship.

Who knows? Maybe they will just recommend a fluid and filter change.
It’s worth a shot, before you go to the expense of rebuilding the transmission.