Transmission Problem

Hello,

I have a 2000 Ford Focus. About two years ago I had a new/used transmission put in. It had 14,000 miles on it when it was installed.

Everything was fine for about 6 months. Then the transmission started slipping and klunking when it switched gears. After a couple of days of that, a sensor light came on. My mechanic hooked it up to his computer and said the transmission range sensor needed to be replaced. He did that.

Everything was fine for about 4 or 5 months and the same thing happened again. My mechanic replaced the transmission range sensor again.

The same thing has happened every 4 to 6 months. Every time my mechanic replaces the transmission range sensor.

My mechanic says it?s ?faulty parts?, that they just don?t make them like they used to.

It seems to me that ?faulty parts? is not the correct answer and that something else is going on to cause this part to consistently fail every 4 to 6 months.

The same thing happened again yesterday. This time, instead of just going back to my mechanic, I thought I would write to you and see if you have any suggestions about what the underlying cause of this problem might be.

I would appreciate any feedback you can give me. Thanks for all your help.

Go to a dedicated trans shop and state your problem exactly as you have here. The guru there will either say that the range sensor is only the failing symptom or will concede that “Yeah, if he’s using Auto-Zone’s name brand, they have their issues. I use XXYYZZ and never have a comeback” …or he’ll say (with confidence and no funny looks on his face) “The problem is really (fill in the blank), but it takes out the range sensor in the process”.

Your mechanic is doing the right thing for his level of expertise. The code pointed to the sensor and its replacement remedied the problem. He just hasn’t had cause to research it on the secondary or tertiary level.

You need someone who is already at that level.