Trans

my 2004 f-150 not going into overdrive, all other gears are fine. please help me get better gas mileage.

I will post the stupid obvious question(hopefully the answer). Your overdrive off button(for towing) is not engaged right. Try engaging/disengaging it a few times.

I had the same problem after the transmission was rebuilt, under warranty, on the 1990 Ford Aerostar that I owned. The service department at the dealership found the overdrive band on the workbench. They had failed to put it in when the transmission was rebuilt. I suppose it is possible for this band to fail, but it would be rare.

Are you waiting until the engine is warmed up?

i have to drive with overdrive button in OFF position so it wont overrev slipping into 4th gear.do you know if it has a soleniod or servo that makes it go into overdrive? and where its located on the transmission. thanks for your help.

yes

i have to drive with overdrive button in OFF position so it wont overrev slipping into 4th gear.

Does that not seem wrong to you? Maybe you should start there.

If its slipping in O.D or going into O.D. then it does sound like the O.D. band is slipping. The band could be toasted or the servo could be leaking. How many miles are we talking about on this truck??

transman

I had one on a V-8 Mustang that had the same symptoms. All it was was the kickdown cable had popped off of the ball it was supposed to be attached to on the throttle. I put it on, and fixed the problem till it popped off again. Then I bought the little plastic socket that the ball fits into and fixed it permanently. I don’t know if your truck has the same set up, it’s several years newer, but it’s easy to look.

A 2004 has all electronic controls.

over 100.000