Tranny Replacement

The differential inside the trans. of my 91 Corolla 1.6L with 175K grenaded as I was cruising down the highway. Just heard a loud “thunk” and the front wheels locked up. The stock trans is a three speed A131L hooked up to the AE92. The engine still has a lot of life left in it so I will be putting a new transmission in it. This 6th generation Corolla was availabe with a four speed trans. Can I replace it with a four speed trans? I can get the shifter out of a recycling yard but don’t know if anything else needs changed-out.

I’d like to get a re-manufactured trans as who knows how the previous owner took care of their transmission if I pulled one out of the bone yard. I’d hate to put in a trans only to have to re-do the job three months later. Are there any reputable transmission re-builders you would recommend? I’m in the Tampa area and am willing to go anywhere in the state for a known good trans.

Sure it can be done but it is more work than you think. Clutch pedal mount/assembly, clutch master/slave cyl., possibly different half shafts (I know the ones for the camry are) and different ECU. Not to mention another half dozen things i didn’t think of. You might look on www.toyotanation.com as I am sure some of the guys there have done this already.

I think he’s talking about a 4-speed auto. The stick-shift for these cars was a 5-speed. IIRC, the 4-speed autos have a TCM. That whould need to be swapped out with the complete wire harness to make the swap work. It should plug right into the factory harness of your '91. But, I’m not sure what years are compatible.

The web is full of dedicated forums for specific models and many times people have already puzzled over (and accomplished or ruled out) various kinds of engine/transmission swap projects. So you might try browsing those. Here are a couple for the corolla:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/133-corolla-forum/

I think he's talking about a 4-speed auto.

Oooops… I believe it still has a different ECU and probably different connectors. If you can get the schematics from both cars and start comparing.

@casper

No offense, but a 1991 Corolla isn’t worth much, no matter how pristine it is

I’m not sure it’s justifiable to spend a few grand for a rebuilt transmission on that car

Perhaps a recycling yard has a known-good A131L already sitting on the the shelf . . .

If you do get another transmission, I’d stick with the same type of transmission that your car now has. It’ll be a lot easier to do the swap, and you won’t have to worry about wiring, modules, axleshafts, etc.

What @db4690 said…

The stock trans is a three speed A131L hooked up to the AE92.
Of course it is hooked up to the AE92. AE92 is a designation for a Corolla you already said this. I believe the engine is a 4A-FE or 4A-GE 1.6L. It looks like the A245E 4 sp auto started in 1993 for Corollas.