Car Talk readers, I appreciate any opinions. I am posting about a 2005 Pontiac Vibe with 80k miles.
While doing a valve cover gasket replacement, a mechanic recommended a transmission fluid change. I said yes. Now, my car makes a whining noise after cold starts that eventually goes away. To try and keep this short, I’m curious if I should replace the fluid again with older and specifically recommended brad/type from the manual. (Not that the mechanic put in incompatible fluid).
- Here is a 10 second clip of the noise. https://vocaroo.com/d9wAzXnjldP The end noise is me shifting into reverse (very audible).
- The noise goes away after five minutes of driving.
- The car shifts and drives fine (for now).
- The car has a bad motor mount or two which creates excessive vibration at idle but is likely(?) unrelated to this current problem–it was not making the noise before the transmission fluid change.
- The noise appeared two weeks or so after changing the fluid, not immediately.
- The fluid level is, according to myself and also three mechanics, perfect.
I took it to a couple different shops. All confirmed it was a transmission noise. One speculated it was the torque converter. The majority of opinion was to continue to drive it while one mechanic suggested I do another fluid change and use the manual’s recommendation for oil.*
Any thoughts? I don’t know how fluid has changed since the car was made. I also have a few questions and thoughts:
- Is putting in the OEM fluid a waste of money or will it make the issue worse?
- Could the bad mount(s) be causing or exacerbating the issue?
- Is it significant the noise goes away? It seems to be worse the colder it is but my sample size is small.
It makes me hopeful that – and I don’t understand transmission well – perhaps the Type IV fluid from 2005 will be thinner and heat up quicker upon ignition, lubricating everything and preventing the noise. Am I crazy?
- https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Fluid-88900925-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B00BK7M03W/ I believe. Or is this the same stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-00279-000T4-Automatic-Transmission-Ounces/dp/B07BZ9P4BQ/ Being that Vibes are just Matrixes.