Toyota Sienna 2002 intermittent cat efficiency code

My 2002 Sienna has had the intermittent cat efficiency failure off and on (well, I said intermittent, heh, heh) over the years. In the past, I have posted on this topic, and smart folks here said there was new software which solved this problem in many cases.

I asked Toyota in Pharr a couple years ago about flashing it to the new engine computer version. The service writer told me I would need a new computer and it would cost $800, which I believe is considerably more than flashing would cost.

I just looked up the Service Bulletins for that car, and found TSB-0064-10 which says as follows:

Service Bulletin No.: TSB-0064-10
Component(s): ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
NHTSA ID Number: 10034284
All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin expand
Details close
0 Associated Documents
Manufacturer: Toyota Motor Corporation
SUMMARY:
TOYOTA: TECHSTREAM ECU FLASH REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE. FLASH REPROGRAMMING ALLOWS THE ECU SOFTWARE TO BE UPDATED WITHOUT REPLACING THE ECU. FLASH CALIBRATION UPDATES FOR SPECIFIC VEHICLE MODELS/ECUS ARE RELEASED AS FIELD-FIX PROCEDURES DESCRIBED IN INDIVIDUAL SERVICE BULLETINS. MODEL YEARS FROM 2001-2011. *PE

Another page said it was implemented in 2010. And, the ‘All products’ on this page said the SB covers Sienna 2001 through 2011.

Do I read this correctly? If so, I want to take it in and have it flashed to solve this problem. But, if I am reading it wrong I don’t want to look stupid.

I found this while following the link on the exploding air bag thread to see if my car was on the recall list. Apparently not.

Its not a reflash but a new ecu for that year. tsb eg 047-05 your tsb is obsolete

The confusion for me is your document which says to replace the computer was dated 2005, and the document which says it can be flashed is dated 2010. So, I am confused how a 2005 document can obsolete a 2010 document.

However, at least the topic is correct, which was my concern. I guess I will go into Toyota and talk to them when I get back now that I have some confidence that I read it correctly.

Since it requires another device to flash it may come down to whether the dealer prefers to sell $800 computers or to flash the existing one which would require the purchase of a techstream programmer.

http://media.fixed-ops.com/toy_servicebulletins/sb0064t10.pdf is the SB details. Note 2010 date. I am still not clear that this would pick up the spec change for P0420. But, I have seen others talk about flashing the computer to fix that problem.

I will be traveling to the Midwest. If McAllen can’t do it, I will ask again in the Midwest.

Or, maybe call Toyota offices and see if they can find a dealer who can do it.

TSB-0064-10 was replaced by T-SB-0012-13 REV1, the revisions just add model years to the bulletin. This bulletin is just a general guide to the software update procedure. There must be software revisions that apply to your PCM for this to be possible. The software revisions will be shown as a link in the specific service bulletins. Each bulletin with a software improvement for you vehicle involves replacing the computer, I don’t see any software flashes.

The next time you are at the dealer ask them to do a computer “health check”, ask for the print out. This only takes a few minutes and will show if any software updates apply to the computers in you vehicle.

The tsb you refer to is a generic reflash procedures. The one I posted is for your specfic concern of P0420. Your year will require the ecm to be replaced.