Toyota Prius HID headlight repair costs

Reason #3 Why we should go back to sealed beam headlights. Replace the whole thing for less than $5.00 with just a screwdriver.

But how would the repair shop make any money if people replace their stuff themselves?

There is a reputable ebay seller who sells these lamps for $60.

A good example of why I don’t like overpriced gimmicks like this.
Headlight failure is something that could easily lead to a Recall, which means a free fix.
Unfortunately, waiting for a Recall can often mean waiting for certain geographical regions to freeze over first. There’s a lot of politics behind Recalls.

You might consider filing a complaint with the Feds, which is how a lot of Recalls get started. After doing that contact the Toyota regional office and advise them that you did this. Then ask if they will perform a Good Will warranty; which is an entirely discretionary thing and which they certainly have the authority to do.
Keep it polite but firm. It’s a coin flip but worth a shot.

I agree with using the old seal beam headlights. The old 5 x 7 Halogen seal beams in my past and current SAABs outperform the lighting on any of my cars and my family members cars; both early and late models and of every make.

Here’s A Rerun Of A Recurring Problem Discussion.

Prius Headlights
No question–just some information. A couple of months back I had asked about Prius headlights. Toyota (not the dealer we bought from) wanted to charge $140 to replace one lamp on my wife’s Prius. I said, “forget about it.” Then we were stopped and given a warning ticket for a burned out headlight. We took it to the dealer we bought it from and they gave us a loaner and then ended up replacing the “computer/box” that controls the headlights annd two new lamps. Seems the lights
were overheating, going out, then coming back on. Lesson learned, all Toyota dealers are not the same.
Question Posted by: Joe Nine

Answer by: common sense answer 05/26/2009 8:06:45 AM
Top 250 Contributor
Re: Prius Headlights

There Have Been Several (Many?) Prius Headlight Horror Stories Posted Here.

It usually involves one side at a time. Toyota dealers have access to their own TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) that tell them how to diagnosis this problem. It usually is a bad bulb, HID ECU (computer box), or wiring/connecter.

Technicians are advised to swap bulbs, right to left. Simple, eh? A bulb that works on one side, but not the other, is generally a good bulb. Checking the wiring and ECU on the “dead” side comes next. Simple, eh?

What I don’t understand is why Toyota hasn’t had a campaign to replace some of these faulty parts before people get tickets or possibly have accidents. This seems like a safety issue. Shouldn’t that lead to a government reqired recall?

CSA

P.S. Search this sight and you’ll see some stories. Oh, and if they charged you to fix it, keep your R.O. (receipt). (Did They charge you or was it warranty?) You never know, one day they may owe you a refund.

This Response Came From Joe Nine, Too.

Prius Headlights by Joe Nine
One more comment re. our 2007 Prius headlights. A regional service rep. came to the dealer and said that he didn’t know exactly what the problem was but, to replace the computer and lights. There was no charge even though the factory warranty mileage had been exceeded. This should be a recall–someones lights are going to go out on a dark and secluded roadway and cause an accident.
Posted by: Joe Nine

I’ll bet that the rep knew what the problem was . . . wink, wink. I’m not saying they try to keep problems that lead to recalls quiet, but . . .

CSA

What I don’t understand is why Toyota hasn’t had a campaign to replace some of these faulty parts before people get tickets or possibly have accidents. This seems like a safety issue. Shouldn’t that lead to a government reqired recall?

Was it Toyota, or Mitsubishi, executives that got arrested because they were covering up information about a recall?

BS Cars, I Was A Parts Manager For VW A Couple (Few) Decades Ago.

They frequently did their own voluntary “Service Campaigns” when problems with safety issues surfaced in an effort to avoid a government ordered “Recall” and to avoid the negative impact that multiple recalls can have.

I wish more manufacturers would take that approach. If you screw something up, man-up and take care of it, don’t try and weasel out of it. I’m half German and it’s really tough for the German half to admit screwing up (I might not always be right, but I’m never wrong!), trust me, and respect them all the more for it.

CSA

WAGNER Part # D2R {Halogen Capsules-Boxed}
Dual beam; w/HID H/L; OE TYPE;

This part goes for 101.79 on rockauto.com. I looked up 2004 Prius and came across this but i’m sure like everyone stated the labor is the killer part. hope this helps.

Exactly!-Kevin (I dislike gimmeckry)

I am going to make calls to Toyota about TSB’s for these faulty HID head lights on the Prius, then the FEDs, and drive around to as many other Toyota dealers as possible. Sometning is terribly wrong with the Prius’ HID lighs when they work so erratically, the service managers acknoledge it is tyhe right front one that goes, and Toyota does nothing. Like the Yankees are the NEW Red Sox, Toyota is quickly becoming the new General Motors. I should have purchased a Chevey. GM is becoming more reliable than Toyota.

You Haven’t Said What Model Year Your Prius Is And I Don’t Know On Which Years The HID Headlight System Was Available.
Is your prius older than 2004?

The bulletins I have seen apply only to 2004-2008 model years. This does not necessarily mean that they are the only ones with problems.

CSA

One commonly used method for extending the lifespan is to dope the electrodes with an emission mix (e.g.thoriated). This is done to both hot and cold cathode lamps. The e-mix lowers the work function so that a lower anode voltage can be used to ignite and power the lamp. This reduces the electrode erosion rate. The gas pressure also plays a role in the energy required to run the lamp but both of these parameters have to be balanced with the desired light output.

These lamps typically die a slow death, unlike filament lamps that tend to die in a flash on startup. As the electrodes wear, the gap increases and light output diminishes. It’s not a linear reduction but typically down to around 75% at 2000 hours. For some, 2000h would be the life of the car considering the lamps may be used only during dusk/night driving.

I find it hard to believe that the ballast could be responsible for the right side only failures described by the OP. What could require that the right side ballast be any different than the left one? Likely, they are identical. So why would the right side have problems and not the left?

A. Mounting position. Heat is a killer of ballasts and lamps. The ballast mounting position and cooling may be compromised on the right side by requirements to mount other things in close proximity and thereby reducing the cooling air flow across the ballast. It may also be due to an inferior heatsink- conductive thermal flow from housing to car body, as compared to the left assembly. Based on the description of what has to come off to access the ballast module, this could be a contributing factor.

B. Connector strain. The routing and retention of connectors and wire harnesses may be different between the sides. Perhaps the only problem is an intermittent connection and is being solved by a wholesale replacement of lamp/ballast assemblies.

C. Vibration. Are the left and right side mounting schemes identical? Are there any deficiencies in the right side mounting scheme?

D. ??

Sounds like a fun investigation…

I have a 2007 Prius. It is the Touring model, with a tuned suspention and other extras.

FYI–I’ve been researching this very topic because I’ve encountered similar problems w/ my 2006 Prius, just beyond the 3-year in-service date, and at 38,000 miles, meaning it’s off standard warranty.

First, the R HID lamp flickered, then it started cutting out, then BOTH HID lamps cut out on occasions. I can restore the R lamp for a time by playing with the smart stick, but ultimately it makes no difference.

I took it to a nearby dealer whose Customer Service Manager told me that, as far as he was concerned, the HID lamps are defective, ESPECIALLY on the 2006 models, and he showed me tickets for other 2006 models with the same problem that were already in the shop. The dealership had RUN OUT of replacement HID lamps. The Manager later said he’d called Toyota for permission to replace the lamps for free, as a courtesy, and that Toyota had refused to accommodate.

What REALLY pissed me off was that the dealer also said that it had tested the R front assembly by replacing the bulb, but that the new bulb didn’t work, meaning that the problem is with the Electronic Control Unit (ECU). The cost to repair just the right front side? $643.65. But, of course, why just repair one when the same inherent defect is on the other side, so throw that in, too, for a total of $1287.30.

There is plenty of evidence on the web that this is a readily identifiable problem with the Prius Gen. II models, especially 2006. Armed with some of that, I called Toyota Customer Service–oh, wait, that’s right, it’s called the “Toyota Customer Experience” line or some such. Well, my experience was that it doesn’t provide much service. There’s an intake process, after which the operator says someone will call back within 24 hours.

Let’s just say that the 24 hours will expire in 31 minutes, and no call yet.

I bought the car largely in reliance on Toyota’s own reputation for reliability, coupled with my experience with an RX300, now 10+ years old with 150K miles and only one significant non-warraty repair. I also bought the Prius for its low cost of operation…and it’s fuel efficiency.

Now I find out that various parts of the Prius may need what I consider to be premature replacement…and an unacceptably high cost. Start, for instance, with the dealer-installed LRR tires, which just happen to wear out at around 36,000 miles. Having just installed new tires, I’m now faced with this problem. Gee, I wonder what else could possibly go wrong just off warranty?

Much as I like the car, I’m VERY unhappy with what’s happening, and with Toyota’s response to what seems to be a substantial defect, and a safety-related one at that.

“Thank you for calling Toyota customer service, this is ****. You bought a Toyota, why are you complaining? It’s a Toyota, we have no problems.” click

I take it this is how most people are being treated when they call the regional/customer service offices.

The part that breaks is the HID ECU, which I assume is a high intensity discharge electronic control unit.

There are 3rd party ones out there advertised for under $200. I’m hoping that my extended warranty will cover this. The big problem I see now is that both lights work again. I don’t know what I’m going to tell them a the appointment. I’m bringing along a copy of the T-SB-0030-08 pdf.

I’ve heard real horror stories about this, but I hope that we get fixed up quick.

Other pertinent threads to this issue:
http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/replacing-headlight-bulb-t910.html

The government has ruled that they won’t make a safety recall over this because only one side fails at a time (see other chats in links I gave down thread).

I don’t know what it’s going to take to get this fixed.

The government saying it won’t do a recall over this:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm?action_number=PE09019&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true