Toyota Echo Transmission

My daughter has a 2000 (or 2001) Toyota Echo. It has 160,000 miles. The transmission is dead. On the other hand, the engine is in great shape. The mechanic in Georgia has given her a price of $2800. I’m trying to contact them to find out exactly what is going on.

Her question: assuming is can be repaired, should she sink the money into it? She asked my opinion, but I’m not a car person by any means.

I’m going to guess it’s an automatic transmission. The price seems very steep. There may be less expensive options.

I don’t think I’d put $2,800 into a car with this many miles, but I don’t know the maintenance history and I can’t see the car.

Please let us know when you find out more.

OK, here’s more info…

It is an automatic. It wasn’t just the tranny. The oil cooler went which damaged the torque converter which damaged the transmission. So, there are three repairs, not just one.

The mechanic went over the engine, the suspension, etc. All are in good shape. Other than brakes, tires, and those things that wear out (like a tie rod and an oxygen sensor), the car has been trouble free.

Any other thoughts?

That explains the price tag.