Toyota Echo exhaust system

I am trying to find out what a “replacement exhaust system” for a 2000 Toyota Echo would cost including labor.

One guy quoted over $1000 but I’ve found that the parts themselves aren’t nearly that expensive.

The car is making delightful low rumbling noises and has lost a lot of power. We’re pretty sure there’s a hole in the system somewhere that’s causing lower mpg and maybe the power loss.

It’s unlikely that you need the entire exhaust system. Any independent mechanic can find the hole and replace the parts that need to be replaced.

Unless it’s the catalytic converter it shouldn’t cost $1,000.

Who gave you that price, and what does he intend to replace?

A bad exhaust would not cause a you to lose ‘a lot of power’. It would have no effect, so maybe something else is wrong. And yes, $1000 is way too much money for just an exhaust system. Use the mechanic finder here: http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/find.html

Thanks for your help. I seem to remember that the catalytic converter wasn’t in need of replacing. All I remember is “new exhaust.” …Whatever he meant by that.

Also, there are most definitely other things wrong that are probably causing the loss of engine power.

I would clarify the question of the catalytic converter - only b/c a power loss & fuel economy issue could come from a cat that is plugged up. The need of a cat would also add a lot to the price.

If all you have is a hole/break/leak somewhere in the muffler/pipes then it should not cost anywhere near $1000 and won’t have anything to do with power or mpg.

The cost sounds way high. But it would be nice to know what’s included. If the leak is in a cracked exhaust manifold and the rest of the 9-year-old system was due replacement, that could change my initial impression of the price.

I’d argue also that there is an outside chance that an exhaust leak could affect power. If it were of significant size and where the flowing exhaust could cause a “venturi effect”, a reduced lateral wall pressure, and it were to draw in excess air before being measured by the upstream oxygen sensor, or if it were bad enough to allow leakage and effectively lower the oxygen reading of the upstream sensor, it could cause the ECU to think there’s too little oxygen to provide the amount of fuel the engine truely needs.

Yes, it could limit power.

First, you need to get a second opinion…one with an itemized list of needed parts and costs.

We could use that plus the maintenance history and mileage of the vehicle.