Touch up paint

My 2003 Impala (red) has a few spots on it that could use a tad touch up of paint, nothing big just a spot or two, what is the best route to get those area’s touched up. I know they sell auto spray paint in a number of places, none of my spots are bigger then by thumb or such and don’t want them to get bigger. There is a bit of rust on a couple of the spots, so just wondered what are good options.

I would not spray a small area. Just buy the touch up paint in a bottle based on color code, from the dealer or online. You have to sand the rust off and then apply the touch up paint with a fine brush. I usually get a brush from the arts & craft store since the brush that comes with the bottle is too big. You can mask the area around the spot and also if the paint does not come out smooth, wet sand it with a very fine (1000) paper.

It would help if we saw pictures of the spots though.

Most parts stores sell this kit for touching up paint scratches and chips.

http://www.autobarn.net/dupli-color-all-in-1-scratch-fix.html

Tester

If there is rust, you have to sand until the rust is one, prime the bare metal, then apply the touch up point.

Don’t be afraid of touch up paint. Thinner will remove touch up paint, but not factory paint. If the area you are working on has not been repainted. go ahead and attempt a repair; if your don’t like the results, wipe off with thinner and try again. If this still scares you, wipe a bad area of your present paint with thinner and see If it comes off.

The key to a good repair is practice and preparation. Wally world has cheap thinner in quarts. I use it to thin touch up paint and clean brushes. it also removes dries latex paint from household hinges and hardware.

Try looking here:

autogeek.net/how-to-repair-paint-chips.html

They show a product like Dr. ColorChip that, I hear, works very well for problems like yours.

Autogeek.net is loaded with products and tips. Not an endorsement of the products, just tons of good info and a single location to buy those products.

I always carry a bottle of touchup paint and repair chips as soon as I see them. Usually that means immediately. I haven’t yet had a repair begin to weep rust, even after many years.

In the old days, when I used to drill holes to attach things, I also used touchup paint in the drilled holes before putting the screws in, and I never had rust form in those applications either. I always felt the touchup pain would also serve as a “loc-tite”, and would also prevent galvanic corrosion between the screw and the sheetmetal. I never had a problem, so I guess it worked.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/chevrolet/2003/impala/

You will need the paint, and the clear coat.

You can get the wet sandpaper from them as well. They’ve got a table to let you know which grit to use with which part of the job.

It may be more involved than the above recommendations. Requires a little more “skill” so to speak.